Horizontal or vertical

Rjgooden

Big Ron
User
I am thinking about getting a router table ( or building), I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts about horizontal router table like the one made by woodhaven? I have one of their planning sleds and really like dealing with them, but I have never used a horizontal router before. Thanks in advance.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
I have a router table that I can pivot the router 90 degrees or more. I LOVE the horizontal bit mode - for loose tenon mortising. I don't do a lot of edge profiling, but when I need that it's simple to drop the plate back to normal. Generally the table stays in horizontal bit mode, of course except when it is not. This is a commecially made table (forget the brand) that some one has described as an engineering beta version. It is not up to snuff as far as product development goes - and i would never pay the original $750+. I paid $100 for it.

So if I had to pick just one... I'd go with horizontal (for my style of ww-ing lately).

A simple router table is easy to build - and I have made several, including ones for a specific project. Note that I do not have a router lift, or anything remotely close to a fancy table. Hope that helps.

Last edited:

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
I have a horizontal table I bought off a guy cheap.

I’m trying to figure out a way to convert it to a horizontal Mortimer.

For me, it’s going to be a dust collector.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
They are both handy and easy to build. Aside from mortising you can find the special bits on MLCS for edge routing.

This one from sometime in late 70s or early 80s hangs on the back of my shop built vertical router table. Simply pivots.

1606840066894.png

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS