HOMEMADE SAWMILLS

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
I love saw mills! Any and all kinds of saw mills! In my younger years I've had Belsaw saw mills, set up in my backyard, 3 different ones as a matter of fact. 2 of my best friends also had Belsaw mills, and we spent many an hour sawing lumber, even after the Amish flooded to our area and set up several mills selling hemlock lumber cheaper than we could mill it ourselves. If my back hadn't gotten way older than the rest of me, there would be a saw mill out back here--but maybe there will be! Take a few minutes and enjoy Izzy Swan's $50 saw mill (the price doesn't include the saw).

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
If you do build his mill, I'm sure there are many of us who would enjoy following you on the project--eagerly looking forward to it, so good luck Phillip!

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
I've got way too many irons (or half finished projects if you asked SWMBO) in the fire now, I'd better hold off on that build ;-)

Brian Patterson

New User
Bstrom
Bruce's mill looks like a real everyman's tool for those logs we can handle ourselves - Mr. Cremona's crew is scaring me with all their safety violations and tomfoolery. Yikes!

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
Your comments leave me a little curious Brian.

Other than Matthew working by himself and possibly using some questionable lifting methods and hand drilling/taping way too many holes, what safety violations and tomfoolery scares you? He completes the build with full guards and (to my sawmill uneducated experience) finishes with what looks to be a fine machine.

I'm more concerned pushing a fully exposed chainsaw with the throttle remotely engaged/held wide open.

(I should mention that I would use either of these mills, just interested in what turned your stomach on the bandsaw mill)

Brian Patterson

New User
Bstrom
Your comments leave me a little curious Brian.

Other than Matthew working by himself and possibly using some questionable lifting methods and hand drilling/taping way too many holes, what safety violations and tomfoolery scares you? He completes the build with full guards and (to my sawmill uneducated experience) finishes with what looks to be a fine machine.

I'm more concerned pushing a fully exposed chainsaw with the throttle remotely engaged/held wide open.

(I should mention that I would use either of these mills, just interested in what turned your stomach on the bandsaw mill)
I was referring to other video with the girl and others. Cremona is cool.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Before building your own mill, look at HudSon' mills. For less than 5K, you can own a working mill.
The point of the Izzy Swan saw mill is that it can be built by the average woodworker for around $50 in material, then comes the saw, which is extra, but can perform double duty. If you want to build a wooden homemade band saw mill, then look here,
and here's another, just for perspective,
These are very light duty but can certainly make lumber for someone who can't come up with the bucks required for a factory made mill.

awldune

Sam
User
Another homemade mill many of us will have seen is Matthias Wandel's:

A thing about Matt Cremona's mill is he spent a fortune in actual money, time, and labor in making it. I am more drawn to the idea of a quick, cheap, and dirty mill. (Though I probably will never build or buy one of any description.)

Jeff

New User
Jeff
A bandsaw mill is pretty safe and a lot easier and safer than a chain saw mill.

A commercial bandsaw mill, not a hacked together homemade mill!

Last edited:

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS