homemade plywood

BKHam

Bradley
User
first pic is just showing off the miter and top that is rabbetted in.

the box sides were resawn 4/4 down to 5/16 and you can see the bookmatch wrap grain.

i've done a few of these and i used to miter the top of the sides and all four sides of the top. i didnt worry too much about movement on a small box. but all those miters were tough to work with. so you see below i did a rabbet instead.

20200114_122352.jpg

wider view of the one above is on the left. one on the right is curly cherry veneered on 1/4 MDF.
20200118_142618.jpg

i didnt want to worry about movement at all so i made homemade cherry core with some offcuts from the sides. 7 layers at about 1/16 apiece.
Capture.PNG

that got me thinking....what else would be cool for homemade ply. so i made these valentines bracelets for my wife and daughter. shop sawn walnut with a little walnut burl on the outside. i had tiny pieces of burl left so this was a cool way to use them. this thing is less than 1/4 inch thick but super strong. ended up buying a 3 inch forstner to make the hole in the middle but 2&3/4 might be the right size.
20200201_131035.jpg

sepelle with doug fir alternating. i didnt pay attention to the end grain orientation on this....hindsight. but it came out cool.
20200201_131054.jpg

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Those wood bracelets were very popular when I was 16. I made a few for classmates in high school. Didn’t have a lathe, just cut out with coping saw and sanded.

BKHam

Bradley
User
Those wood bracelets were very popular when I was 16. I made a few for classmates in high school. Didn’t have a lathe, just cut out with coping saw and sanded.

cutting these out was a bigger pain than the pics let on. a 3 inch forstner is not that fun to work with and can easily bind. i ended up having to cope out one of these as well.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Very cool.
I made a few similar bracelets a while back. Cut them out with different sized hole saws. Got several sizes out of each glued up stack.

BKHam

Bradley
User
Very cool.
I made a few similar bracelets a while back. Cut them out with different sized hole saws. Got several sizes out of each glued up stack.

the hole saw would prob be better since it doesnt have to remove all the material, just the "saw" kerf.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS