Home repair contractor near Burlington

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
I am looking for a contractor to replace some siding, corner boards, two gable vents and some random water damage areas. I have one estimate but it seems too high. Unfortunately, many contractors increase the price when driving into our neighborhood. I am looking at about 80 pieces of hardie board, 6 corner boards, 2 gable vents, and a few other random repairs. The one quote that I have is $7k which seems out of range. I prefer to do the work myself but do not have the safety equipment and no way to reach the gable vents at 60 feet up.

As as a background, I need to have a concrete area replaced 38' x 10'. and a gentleman came by and took measurements. He gave me a quote fo 10 yards of concrete at $150 per yard plus $1200 labor. By my calculations, 380 sq feet divided by 81 sq ft is about 5 yards of concrete. It is amazing he would double the materials to inflate the cost by $750. Interesting how many people are taken by this type business practice. Th second quote I,received was $1800 total.

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
For my metal building, i had a slab poured that was 22x35, average of 4" thick. This took nearly 11 yards of concrete. Your calculation of 5 yards is pretty accurate.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
He gave me a quote fo 10 yards of concrete at $150 per yard plus $1200 labor. By my calculations, 380 sq feet divided by 81 sq ft is about 5 yards of concrete.

Yep, 4.69 cubic yards of concrete poured at 4" thick. The concrete should be 3000-4000 lb strength and it can be reinforced with 1/2" rebar if you wish.

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
As as a background, I need to have a concrete area replaced 38' x 10'. and a gentleman came by and took measurements. He gave me a quote fo 10 yards of concrete at $150 per yard plus $1200 labor. By my calculations, 380 sq feet divided by 81 sq ft is about 5 yards of concrete. It is amazing he would double the materials to inflate the cost by $750. Interesting how many people are taken by this type business practice. Th second quote I,received was $1800 total.

The one question I have is how deep or thick do you want the slab?

I did a 16 x 24 monolithic slab with deep footings and 4-5 center and it was a whole lot closer to 10 yards.

My strong advice from experience: go and see some work the guy has done. There's a big difference in work skills.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I did a 16 x 24 monolithic slab with deep footings and 4-5 center and it was a whole lot closer to 10 yards.

Without the footings, 16 x 24 at 4" thick is 4.74 cubic yards. :confused_

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors