Home made deep hollowing bar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nate Davey

New User
Nate
Seeing ScottS post about his homemade Ci rougher finally motivated me to finish my Ellsworth style deep hollowing bar. The handle is 26"x ~2" with 12" of 1/2" square stock. There is 6" of square stock in the handle. The bottom of the handle is oval for a more comfortable grip. I'll try this for a bit and if I don't like it, I'll convert it to a Derry style hollower and if I don't like that, I will go to an articulated hollower. Right now the only money I've spent was $12 for the cutter and $.20 for the screw to secure it to the bar. Now I need to make a handle for the 45 degree cutter and I'll have a complete set. Comments and criticism appreciated.
P101000225.jpg

P101000624.jpg

Nate Davey

New User
Nate
Jim,

The circular cutter is a HSS Sorby replacement cutter from Woodcraft. I think I may try a Carbide EWT cutter if I don't like the HSS.

Nate

jim shue

New User
james e
Thanks Nate. I found a circular carbide cutter from Rockler--made by Hunter. It was $17 and I think that is a little steep ---may try another carbide supplier--seems all they guys who make the tool holders have locked up the carbide cutters that work for wood. I do not have the equipment to sharpen a round carbide cutter to cut wood--metal cutters are ground with a chip breaker for metal work.

Nate Davey

New User
Nate
Jim,

For my 45 degree cutter I used a tool bit found here, much cheaper. I can post a pic of it if it would be helpful. The Ellsworth straight hollower used this type of bit, I wanted to try the circular cutter as it is more versatile, IMHO. I just finished my first vase, 7" deep x 3.5" wide. I found I had to hone both the circular cutter and the bit to put a bur back on to get a good cut. Love the square stock, very stable. Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors