Hollowing out a log

kelLOGg

Bob
Senior User
I felled a dead maple at which time I saw it has a partial hollow center. I would like to hollow it out the rest of the way and use it as a pedestal for an end table. It is about 18” tall and 12” dia and I have started chiseling out the remaining wood. Has anyone done this? And how did it turn out? And what tools did you use? 21870510-9811-4CB4-AD07-37AB61D0E7A2.jpeg21870510-9811-4CB4-AD07-37AB61D0E7A2.jpeg

Attachments

• 11FAB4EC-B535-42CD-A2B0-664E51B5AE21.jpeg
    11FAB4EC-B535-42CD-A2B0-664E51B5AE21.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 118

Jeff

New User
Jeff
A lot of work for a simple pedestal table.

A roughing out gouge (a lathe tool) or hand chisels maybe.

Brian Patterson

New User
Bstrom
As long as you add upper and lower pieces, the inner trunk area isn't an issue, right?

You could also add a piece of tempered glass on the top and light the interior - very popular modern treatment.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
+1 on the glass and interior light. Maybe even a mirror in the bottom of the hollow to make an infinity table!
Check for insects first...........................o_O

kelLOGg

Bob
Senior User
Whatever I do it would be kiln dried and if it survives crackless you have given me some ideas. I will have to enlarge hole first. Ugh

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
one thing that you could do is just sand blast the interior to clean it up a bit. That can be done with with a hand held unit, and use a med-fine medium , lower pressure it will remove the loose stuff without ruining the natural look

Last edited:

kelLOGg

Bob
Senior User
I kept thinking that it shouldn't be be so difficult then it hit me. Chainsaw
I grooved it, chiseled it out and "smoothed" it out with the chainsaw - 10 minute job. That will be fine for the inside that will never show. Now to dry it and figure out just how I will use it.

Attachments

• IMG_0890.JPG
    IMG_0890.JPG
    135.8 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_0892.JPG
    IMG_0892.JPG
    133.9 KB · Views: 100

kelLOGg

Bob
Senior User
It will air dry first then kiln dry. I can't kiln dry green or cracking will occur. This will take some time.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors