Hole Saw Recommendation

Robert166

robert166
Corporate Member
Got a Lenox set for Christmas from the wife, not to crazy about the Lenox for wood use. I would like to know what you find to be the best brand to use for wood. I use these tools often for toy wheels and shop jigs. So a clean smooth cut is the desired result. The Lenox tend to jump and catch on the wood when I start out. Glad I use them on my drill press and have the piece clamped down. This is what I have.

51Pp9zPsL3L._AC_.jpg

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
I got a set from Lee Valley a few years ago. Carbide tipped cutters, very sturdy drive, These cut like butter, however they are in metric sizes but very close to SAE.

bobsmodels

Bob
Senior User
my experience with hole saws in wood is to run them very slow ie 100 - 150 rpm, and make sure the pilot drill is out at least a 1/2". With nice sharp ones it takes a little more time but nice cut. Mine are all Lenox except for one Starrett.

Bob

Robert166

robert166
Corporate Member

Milwaukee 49-22-4185 28-Piece All Purpose Professional Ice Hardened Hole Saw Kit $149.00 This has good reviews. Get a bunch of stuff for 150.00
49-22-4185_1_1024x1024.png

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
Echoing others, I’d try extending the pilot first.

I have several of the Lenox brand from 1” to 4”. I have noticed the hole saws catch more when using my cordless drill (6 y/o dewalt) than my corded drill (30-40 y/o craftsman). I think it’s related to the torque difference between the two. I have not used the hole saws in my drill press.

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
I only use my hole saws in the drill press set to the slowest speed. I have never tried to use them with a drill. I only use them to make wheels for toys.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
I have Lenox hole saws that I use in a Milwaukee 1/2" angle drill--a real beast. Brace yourself when you start so you don't go for an unwanted ride! I have used this drill since around 1980 when I bought it because I was doing a lot of residential wiring.

Robert166

robert166
Corporate Member
Used a hole saw last light, slowest my drill press will go is 280. The lenox still jumped around and made noise, Once I got into the wood it did better.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Using a 1/4" bit. drill pilot hole. Replace pilot bit in hole saw with a piece of 1/4" rod. Saves a lot of pilot bits, especially when working in thin metals.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
I have Lenox hole saws that I use in a Milwaukee 1/2" angle drill--a real beast. Brace yourself when you start so you don't go for an unwanted ride! I have used this drill since around 1980 when I bought it because I was doing a lot of residential wiring.
My Milwaukee "Hole Hog" will take my Milwaukee right angle for a ride any time. The "Hole Hog has no trouble spinng a 4" hole saw for sewer pipes.

Rick M

New User
Rick
I got a deal on a set of Century Drill hole saws, US made, they cut like razors and beat the pants off the cheaper sets I've owned.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
I have the Lenox, the Starret, the Milwaukee and a Morse set. I mostly use for steel. But, if you are making a larger hole the holes saws provide a great way to create a start scribe. Then, you can use a jig saw to complete if accuracy is needed. All of the ones I have all perform pretty similarly. My Starret set goes from 1/2-6" in increments of 1/8"
The main issue I have with them is they have inherent drift in them when cutting. Sometimes it is the arbor or the cutter is not a true circle. For accuracy I use Forstners, but for making wheels any of these brands would work

Rick M

New User
Rick
The Starrett hole saws are made in China. Last I read, Milwaukee, Lenox, and Century are made in the USA. I'm sure someone will correct me if wrong.

Barry W

Co-Director of Outreach
Barry
Corporate Member
I got a deal on a set of Century Drill hole saws, US made, they cut like razors and beat the pants off the cheaper sets I've owned.

We sold (new owner still does) Century products in our hardware store, they make quality items.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS