Hole saw deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnW

New User
John
Thanks for the heads up Joe. I just ordered it as I need to cut a "hole" bunch of 3" and 4" holes for an upcoming project. A carbide tipped 3" and 4" with arbor cost more than this kit.

Rick_B

Rick
Corporate Member
Thanks for the heads up Joe. I just ordered it as I need to cut a "hole" bunch of 3" and 4" holes for an upcoming project. A carbide tipped 3" and 4" with arbor cost more than this kit.

+2 - I don't often need a hole saw but when I do I am wishing I had a good set. DonLt know a lot about hole saws - but if you are going to take a chance - Lee Valley is the place to do it

Rick

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
You can't beat carbide. A neighbor burned up a $100 drill using a $5 hole saw. A similar boxed set on Amazon sells for $89, so I think you can't go wrong.
I don't need a hole saw right now, but I'll test 'em when they arrive.

harpone

New User
Harpone
I was about to buy some Lenox individual hole saws from Lowe's to make wood wheels for children's pull toys. Have you received the set you ordered from Lee Valley? I would be very interested in your comments about the set. Lee Valley doesn't give customer ratings and in my past experience will not even tell you the manufacturer. Thanks.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
I haven't had a chance to use one yet, but side by side with the 4" carbide saw I bought from Lowe's; they look identical. Both are the same shade of black, carbide teeth same size and the steel body just as thick. The arbor is substantial and appears to be self-ejecting. I hope so, but I got a very good deal if not anyway! Says 'Made in China' on the pretty case!

Last edited:

JohnW

New User
John
Harpone,
I've received them but have not used them yet. My out of box first observation is similar as Joe's, except mine are blue and not black. They came in nice case and have a made in China label. The arbor looks fine. The carbide teeth appear to be a little smaller as compared to more expensive brands, but they look to be adequate. The teeth are painted over and do not appear to be very sharp, but that could be because of the paint.

I will be cutting approx 75 4" holes and 100's of holes between 1.5" - 3" sometime before end of year. I think they will work fine for that. Just hope the biscuits are easily ejected from the saw.

harpone

New User
Harpone
Thanks for your quick reply. I called LV and learned (1) they were sold out, (2) they were not made by Spyder and (3) they were made in China..

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
I will be cutting approx 75 4" holes and 100's of holes between 1.5" - 3" sometime before end of year. I think they will work fine for that. Just hope the biscuits are easily ejected from the saw.

I smear some Johnson's wax inside the saw body, but my cutoffs are usually scrap. I wonder if paraffin wax would work as well.

JohnW

New User
John
Thanks Joe.
Johnson wax is a good idea. I have a can and use it on my cast iron tops. And my cutoffs will be scraps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS