Hold down small pieces for routing using nano tape.

Matt Furjanic

New User
Matt
4826609D-89FA-4B03-9389-40D400942793.jpeg

I needed to rout some small planks. Screwed down a small piece (slightly smaller than the piece that was to be router) of plywood To my workbench. Then used two pieces of Double sided nano tape to stick down my small plank to the plywood. This temporily and securely held down the small plank while routing. Also found other uses for the tape as it sticks To just about anything and it’s waterproof too.

This tape is amazing and real thick (about 1/8”). Its ideal for a temporary hold of small parts.
6B1F1513-5F9B-48D8-B82B-97386CD735B4.jpeg

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
I've done that, but sometimes had a failure of the tape to hold the part. I have since gone to vacuum chucks and a vacuum pump. Rockler sells the chucks, but you can make your own in any shape using closed cell foam Weather stripping on a plastic of well sealed board. For routing small parts the router table or even holding small parts on the table saw I use one of these https://www.infinitytools.com/small-workpiece-holder but added some sticky back 100 grit sandpaper to the jaws to improve the holding power. Tape works, but I've found that these do a better job.

Charley

• Thanks
Reactions: Oka

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
Hey Matt - is the nano tape an improvement over normal double-sided carpet tape? I use the latter frequently for for pattern-routing.

I can get two-three uses (pattern changes) out if it before its no longer trustworthy.

-Mark

Matt Furjanic

New User
Matt
Hey Matt - is the nano tape an improvement over normal double-sided carpet tape? I use the latter frequently for for pattern-routing.

I can get two-three uses (pattern changes) out if it before its no longer trustworthy.

-Mark
Its totally different from carpet tape. It is much thicker and stickier. Actually so sticky it is difficult to remove. You will find other uses, like keeping hanging pictures level, or sticking stuff to irregular surfaces. The stuff is cheap enough - try a roll. Matt...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS