Hobbyist in Efland, NC

Dylan Buffum

New User
Dylan
Hi folks,

A couple of years ago I bought a house in rural Efland which has a large shop space in an out-building. I've spent the past few years setting up shop, and getting back into fine woodworking as a hobby. I'm not equipped like a professional, but I'm up and running and having a lot of fun. I joined this forum as a way to connect with folks who know more about the local resources in the Durham, Chapel Hill, Hillsborough, Mebane area.

Looking forward to getting to know everyone. I've attached a few photos of the shop, and some of my recent work.

Dylan

Here's 180º panorama view of the shop:

index.php

A 90º panorama from the back corner:

index.php

My wife has had this small silk for years. Over Valentine's Day week, I made this mahogany & white oak frame, finished with shellac:

IMG_1235.jpeg

A set of knives and a knife block I made as a Christmas present out of scraps of mahogany:

index.php

Some recent bowls, and a lid for a porcelain jar my father made:

index.php

Lastly, a custom "Wagon Wheel" chandelier for my brother-in-law's post & beam house. It's hung and wired now, but we still have to level it and take down the extra rigging:

IMG_1401.jpeg
IMG_1068.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0828.jpeg
    13 MB · Views: 862
  • IMG_0829.jpeg
    12.3 MB · Views: 859
  • IMG_0898.jpeg
    IMG_0898.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 702
  • DSC_0063.JPG
    13.9 MB · Views: 816
Last edited:

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Dylan, welcome aboard! Congratulations on getting your shop up and running, you appear to have plenty of room to add more toys. Also, thank you for posting pictures of your work...the chandelier is very impressive, as is the effort to hang it!

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Welcome Dylan,
GREAT work and nice shop space!
Glad you found us and look forward to seeing more of your work.

Dylan Buffum

New User
Dylan
Thanks for the friendly welcome!

Welcome Dylan, you will like it here.

The shop is a Quonset hut ?

Yes, it's a Steelmaster Quonset hut. It's on a concrete slab about 30' x 50', and it's 25' tall in the middle. The prior owner used it to store his stuff for 30-years, mostly in big moldy soggy piles on the floor. He left it all for me when he sold the house. Here's a small sample of what he left (I didn't take a photo of the half-canoe I found buried in the woods, or the haldf-dozen soggy, moldy cardboard boxes of broken croquet mallets):

2017 01.jpg

I cleaned it out, salvaged some of the junk, installed windows and electricity, and built in all of the you see except the two big doors. This picture is just the front half which we use as a garage. The shop space is the same size, 30' x 25', behind the wood doors:

2017 03.jpg

Last edited:

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
I got to build a historical anger that was a Quonset hut. Interesting building.

.....All the junk he left, a suggestion it's wintertime .... make it into a big pile and a dousing of diesel will expedite the cleanup process......:D

Spray insulation will make it a lot nicer

Thanks for the friendly welcome!

Yes, it's a Steelmaster Quonset hut. It's on a concrete slab about 30' x 50', and it's 25' tall in the middle. The prior owner used it to store his stuff for 30-years, mostly in big moldy soggy piles on the floor. He left it all for me when he sold the house. Here's a small sample of what he left (I didn't take a photo of the half-canoe I found buried in the woods, or the haldf-dozen soggy, moldy cardboard boxes of broken croquet mallets):

View attachment 200245

I cleaned it out, salvaged some of the junk, installed windows and electricity, and built in all of the you see except the two big doors. This picture is just the front half which we use as a garage. The shop space is the same size, 30' x 25', behind the wood doors:

View attachment 200246

cskipper

Cathy
We're glad you are here! That's quite a building. Thanks for including the pictures. We love pictures.

Steve Hopper

New User
Steve
Hello. I'm new member too and in Efland. I have about all the equipment and tools I can use but I'm in the process of having an estate sale for my deceased brother-in-laws woodworking/furniture making shop. Problem is it's in Buncombe County. I hope to get a Craigslist posting up soon. My brother-in-law made a good living selling self-made furniture up and down the east coast. Has huge shop full of equipment that his widow wants sold.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Hello. I'm new member too and in Efland. I have about all the equipment and tools I can use but I'm in the process of having an estate sale for my deceased brother-in-laws woodworking/furniture making shop. Problem is it's in Buncombe County. I hope to get a Craigslist posting up soon. My brother-in-law made a good living selling self-made furniture up and down the east coast. Has huge shop full of equipment that his widow wants sold.
Steve welcome to the forum. It would be best to start a new thread about your brother-in-law and what tools might be available. Once you have specifics you should create a listing in our classifies section as well.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Beautiful work, especially the wagon wheel. Very impressive!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS