HNPD

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Happy New Plane Day!

I snagged this off Ebay for $35. It was listed as a Sargent 409C. The adjustment knob has right-hand threads. The tote was a bit lose, but a few turns of the screwdriver took care of that. The iron is dull, but I have a diamond sharpening kit (325, 600, & 1000 grits),and 1500 grit sandpaper.
20200109_190006.jpg
20200109_185931.jpg
20200109_185924.jpg
20200109_185913.jpg
20200109_185852.jpg

Last edited:

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
I am undecided on whether I should get the plane all shiny, or just go with an iron sharpening.....

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Most of mine I clean-up (literally wash with soap and water - dry well - then oil)
I do flatten the sole on sandpaper applied to granite and usually run the sides as well.
I usually pull the frog and verify it is flat (run it over the finer sandpaper grit unless there is a lot of rust)
Some I have pulled the tote and knob and if in poor condition, buff out the rough spots with a scotch bright and apply alfieshine Amazon.com | Resin Enriched Natural Hard Wax Polish 60ml (2oz) (for USE ON W-Alfie Shine: Bar Tools & Drinkware
or Odies Oil

I get the rust off the blade, chip breaker and lever cap and sharpen-up the blade

At this point I determine if I have a good user or if it should be passed along...

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
Tom,

This is just my take. That plane is very clean and in nice condition. For me, definitely all I would do is sharpen, lightly clean the dust, lightly lube the threads. Very little reason to do anything else.

As far as the patina goes, I don’t immediately see any rust. The little bit of brown patina on the surface will actually offer some protection to the iron surfaces and help protect from real rust. I personally choose to leave patina on my vintage planes.

Any real rust, as in the kind that flakes off and causes pitting, that would have to go.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS