Hit metal with the Sawstop

Status
Not open for further replies.

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
The manual says that the blade brake won't trigger on small bits of embedded metal in wood, including staples. It passed my idiot test, as I was trimming down a panel sled from my old TS and hit an embedded steel screw (McFeelys, 1/2" #6, black oxide, to be precise). I didn't make it all the way through the screw as the sound and sparks caught my attention pretty quick. Blade brake did not trigger.

Phew!

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Did the blade survive too? If you had made it all the way through, I'd guess no (those McFeely's screws are tough!) but if you just got sparks I take it you lucked out. Good to hear it didn't trigger the brake.

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
Did the blade survive too? If you had made it all the way through, I'd guess no (those McFeely's screws are tough!) but if you just got sparks I take it you lucked out. Good to hear it didn't trigger the brake.

Luckily, I had not yet installed my new Freud blade! It's a relatively new but cheap ($20) Delta blade, and it seems to be cutting just fine. I'll have to take a closer look at the cut quality and see how it's doing.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Luckily, I had not yet installed my new Freud blade! It's a relatively new but cheap ($20) Delta blade, and it seems to be cutting just fine. I'll have to take a closer look at the cut quality and see how it's doing.
Delta 7657? If it had been a Forrest, you would be looking at a repair bill of over $100 for a new blade. Recently using a Woodcraft $5 router bit I cut the head of a drywall screw in half. Bit still cuts great, but screw was hard to remove.

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
So long as you were not touching the screw AND the screw was not touching the cast iron table, then the SawStop sensing system should not detect a large enough shift in capacitance to trigger.

It's a little misleading to claim it was designed that way, though. That's just the way this sort of capacitive sensing works -- without the item touching the operator or table top (or some other very large or grounded conductor) the screw merely increased the blade's capacitance slightly -- but never discharged it. Had the blade+screw discharged the capacitance in the blade, you would have had a very rude and unexpected (not to mention costly) surprise!

Glad you got away with it this time....

PS -- If you're going to be sawing your fasteners regularly, you may wish to consider switching to brass or aluminum fasteners -- both are blade friendly (I use them exclusively with my homemade push blocks).

alantope

New User
Al
I wasn't quite so lucky when I forgot to reset the miter fence when I changed to a dado blade. :tinysmile_cry_t:

The fence must have just skimmed past the blade(s) by a few hundredths of an inch, 'cause there was no damage to the fence.

But the brake triggered. Now ... that's a surprize!

Ended up damaging two chippers, but not the outside blades.

manfre

New User
Manfre
Glad this didn't cost you anything. Sounds like you need to set up a security checkpoint. You'll probably need to put the x-ray backscatter machine in your garage. :rotflm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors