Hinge Help

JSJ

Jeff
Corporate Member
I'm reaching out to get your input on what type and size of hinges (and latch) to use for a project. I'm building two dog kennels (about 22x30x24) and am using cherry for the construction. It basically consists of four rail and stile frames with 1/2" dowels for the bars. The door will be ~2" rail and stile, measuring about 16" x 20", so not really that heavy. I have never used nor installed any hinge before as I am still in the novice category. What kind of hinges would you all put on the door (so it can fully swing open back on itself) and what latch? Also, what would be a good source for this quality hardware?

Thanks!

PS Thinking ahead, I did design it so that I can replace individual bars should the dogs decide to chew thru the bars in an escape attempt.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Hey Jeff. You don't tell us how the door size compares to the opening.
If it fits inside, it's an inset door and then certain type of hinges can be used. I am guessing this is the case from the sizes you mention, but can't be sure.
If door is larger than the frame, the door is an overlay door, and that restricts the type of hinges (and latch).

Unless this is 'furniture' (which given your choice of cherry it might be, I would use a 'basic' strap hinge, but your door layout may not allow for these.
Something like this
https://www.lowes.com/pd/National-Hardware-2-3-7-in-Zinc-Strap-Door-Hinge/1000529065
These don't need mortising and are simply to use and install. They also require an inset door style.
Simple butt hinges could be used, for either style door, although they'd be mounted differently for different style doors
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Gatehouse-1-1-2-in-Zinc-Mortise-Door-Hinge-2-Pack/50041808
In an inset door they could be mounted flat like a strap hinge, or mounted like a typical hinge you would see on an interior passage door. These also could be used on an overlay door, but it depends on the width of your stiles (the upright pieces of the door frame and the outer case).

I could go on and on, but it would be helpful to have more info before providing more helpful links.

JSJ

Jeff
Corporate Member
Thanks Henry. My apologies, yes it is fits inside the opening. I can adjust the clearance on all side by the length and width of the rail and stile. It will be like furniture. I have attached a photo of an oak crate with wood slates, but it shows the concept of the hinges and latch I am looking for. Thanks for taking the time to help!

Attachments

• Oak-crate- 24x36.jpg
    Oak-crate- 24x36.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 96

BKHam

Bradley
User
+1 to a non-mortise hinge, many different options. use your own judgement on the quality.

if there is a bunch of play in the hinge, no matter the price, its prob crap. but if you find a good deal and the tolerances are tight, it will probably work fine.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Thanks Henry. My apologies, yes it is fits inside the opening. I can adjust the clearance on all side by the length and width of the rail and stile. It will be like furniture. I have attached a photo of an oak crate with wood slates, but it shows the concept of the hinges and latch I am looking for. Thanks for taking the time to help!
Looks to me like you could wander the aisle of a local big-box store and pick up a few pairs of hinges in the appropriate size/color. Black 2"?

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
My opinion is that brass hardware goes well with cherry. When I made a linen press, I used brass H-hinges on the face frame. I got them from Ball and Ball. How big are the dogs? Are they rambunctious enough to push on the door? A simple barrel bolt may be enough to hold them in.

Roy G

Warren

Warren
Corporate Member
Don't have a suggestion, but the most complete selection of hardware I've used is Lee Valley. They have a large catalogue of cabinet hardware. Also, check Woodworker's Hardware.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS