Highly figured Red Oak turning blocks

Status
Not open for further replies.

mayszs

New User
Zack
A few days ago I decided to see what the figure looked like in an enormous red oak root ball in the back yard. After throwing a peice on the lathe I couldn't believe how much variation and color was in this thing.
Yesterday I decided to harvest some more and after almost 2 hours of cutting, with an 80 cc saw, and sharpening the chain 3 times I picked up the few peices I managed to cut free and limped my way back to the house.
Would some turning blocks with this type of coloring be of interest to anyone?

Oak Root Bowl - Rough Turned.jpg

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I don't do turning but thanks for posting a nice picture of interesting wood. Reminds me that many highly figured gun stocks come from the root/stump portion of the tree. Crotches also have highly figured wood. The straight part of the trunk is better structurally but the transition areas have more interesting figure.

jrfuda

New User
John
Wow, I cannot beleive that's red oak. If I were not such a rookie turner, lived closer and had more time I'd be interested. Very nice, and great job turning it.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
A few days ago I decided to see what the figure looked like in an enormous red oak root ball in the back yard. After throwing a peice on the lathe I couldn't believe how much variation and color was in this thing.
Yesterday I decided to harvest some more and after almost 2 hours of cutting, with an 80 cc saw, and sharpening the chain 3 times I picked up the few peices I managed to cut free and limped my way back to the house.
Would some turning blocks with this type of coloring be of interest to anyone?

View attachment 14746
Yep been there done that... All but the Spinny machine. Root balls will put a hurting on a chainsaw.

mayszs

New User
Zack
The root ball is about 7 feet tall, 5 feet wide and 4 feet deep.
The only peice I have cut free at the moment is about 12x12x24 and weighs somewhere between 125 and 175 pounds.

mayszs

New User
Zack
Yep been there done that... All but the Spinny machine. Root balls will put a hurting on a chainsaw.
I'm using an d solid metal 80cc McCulloch saw from the 19 60s so it's making for some sore arms too!
What can I say I love the way they sound!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors