High Carbon Alloy steel

Status
Not open for further replies.

sawduster

New User
Robert
can anyone 'splain this to me in regard to lathe tools ? :icon_scra I know it is different than HSS but how ? Better, worse ?
Yeah I could look it up but I probably wouldn't understand it and I would miss out on all the great fellowship of this site :gar-Bi

...besides < slingblade voice on > " I like the way y'all talk " < slingblade voice off > :gar-La;

Any input welcome :icon_thum

Mark Gottesman

New User
Mark
I would have to go down and check my books, but HSS is high speed steel and is a type of High carbon alloy steel. It is designed to retain an edge at temperatures that would draw the temper on other steels. Not sure what element promotes this, might be cobalt, tungsten, vanadium or Molybdenum. It is usually a mix of these

Anyway, a turning tool is subjected to heat, shock, and abrasive materials. Not a kind environment for a edge to function in. Alloying a high carbon steel, over about 0.65 % carbon with a variety of materials allow abrasive resistant carbides to form that will survive in that environment for a longer period between resharpening. These properties are developed during the heat treatment phase of production.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
That's kinda like saying high protein meat steak. I would like more information.

They are trying to impart mystical properties without really saying anything specific.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
"Alloy steel" - that means it's metal and some of the metal is steel and some is well, not... :rolf:
A turning tool that is not HSS or carbide and not antique is a little suspect. Carbon steel tools work fine; even modern carving tools are still carbon steel. IMO, it is easier to get a really sharp edge with high carbon steel. But under a lot of friction that produces heat, it won't hold that edge long.

aplpickr

New User
Bill
Link to article by Alan Lacer on steels and sharpening:
http://www.alanlacer.com/articles/newpdfs/Scrapers.pdf

The chemical differences between good and cheap HSS can be as little as 0.1 % in a minor ingrediant of 1 to 2 % total. This is why the cheap Chinese HSS is a far consideration from Sheffield steel. Cheap HSS is better at holding an edge than carbon, but the better steels can hold an edge for three times longer. Do you want to spend your time sharpening or turning?

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Link to article by Alan Lacer on steels and sharpening:
http://www.alanlacer.com/articles/newpdfs/Scrapers.pdf

The chemical differences between good and cheap HSS can be as little as 0.1 % in a minor ingrediant of 1 to 2 % total. This is why the cheap Chinese HSS is a far consideration from Sheffield steel. Cheap HSS is better at holding an edge than carbon, but the better steels can hold an edge for three times longer. Do you want to spend your time sharpening or turning?

Bill good input :thumbs_up Thanks for the link.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Alan Lacer seems to support my observation on sharpening turning tools. While I have not made such high magnification photos I have seen the effects he describes. A sharper, finely polished tool cuts much cleaner.

sawduster

New User
Robert
That's kinda like saying high protein meat steak.

Bro , I can always count on you to put things in perspective :icon_thum :rolf:
........ I appreciate it too :icon_cheers

Bill,
That is some excellent information ....thanx very much :icon_thum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS