Hiding a workbench

Status
Not open for further replies.

skeeter

New User
Charles
Had the camera out trying to get some pix of a corner display cabinet I just finished for Christmas present for DIL. Still no luck. Pix coming out to dark. I know, "NO pictures, it didn't happen." I'll have to keep working on that.

Meanwhile, to check the camera, I took some pictures of my workbench and decided to post them.

I have to share shop with LOML's car so space is very limited. NOt a lot of room for space hogging stuff like a workbench. I came up with this idea, a fold down workbench. It really is more sturdy than you would think. It is hinged with 3/16" thick flatbar, 1 " wide and 18" long, screwed all along the end and back of the tabletop. It passed the clamp and plane test with flying colors. Hey, it's all I've got room to do (trying to make room for a lathe). :eusa_pray

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/showphoto.php?photo=7143&cat=500&ppuser=362

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/showphoto.php?photo=7144&cat=500&ppuser=362

If nothing else, it's good for a chuckle!! :lol:

erasmussen

RAS
Corporate Member
I like it thats a great idea:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap
And it looks strong:icon_thum
I am very limited for space also

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Beautiful bench and great idea.
I'm curious as to what you all have found to be the best style/size of bench dog. I have seen pros and cons for round vs square and wood vs metal. It appears those who go square make their own with a hardwood shim for height adjustment, but all the things on workbenches I have found get curiously silent when it comes to the dogs themselves. Looking at the pics here and on the web of those who have built theirs, I see both round and square. Any thoughts? (For my purposes, I will be needing to secure glue-ups and hand-planing them flat. I will also probably be going from rough to finish on them as I don't own or currently have room for a power planer.) As for the bench itself, I will be going pretty much with Monty's design, but may be going with a tail vise also).
:eusa_thin
Go

skeeter

New User
Charles
I used round simply because drilling is faster and easier that drilling and squaring with a chisel. Basic dogs can be made from dowel or bolts. Guess I'm trying to say I'm just lazy!!!

DaveO

New User
DaveO
That's just plain ingenious. And it looks like a much higher quality bench then is suggested for a similar application in all the ww'ing mags. You should definitely submit that as a great reader idea.
Dave:)

Monty

New User
Monty
Regarding bench dogs, there are pros & cons for both round and square. I couldn't decide either, so I used BOTH! ;) :D

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
Very good idea. I have to admit though. I thought you had gone and bought a workbench without permission, and was trying to hide it ...

skeeter

New User
Charles
Forgot to add that I place a couple of 2x8 across the front of leg braces and place 2 cinder blocks on the for a little added weight!!

sapwood

New User
Roger
Charles, thanks for posting the workbench. :icon_thum
Folks, I've seen this bench and it is a marvel. All his power tools are mobile, allowing room for shop and car. And the house is filled with furniture he has crafted (mostly mission style). I encourage you to check out Skeeter's gallery. And if you are in Wilmington you might be lucky enough to get a shop/house tour. I can assure you he is a warm and gracious host :cool:

Roger

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
Charles,

That is great looking workbench and the fold up design is quite ingenious.:eusa_clap :eusa_clap One day I want to convert one of my work tables to a ww'ing bench with a ww vise or two. Maybe when we have a lunch get together again in W-ton I can swing by and see your bench.

chris99z71

New User
Chris
Cool! :icon_thum
I definately think that you should send that in to one of the magazines (Wood maybe?) as a reader idea. They usually give away some pretty cool tools!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS