Hidden hinge for 3/8" material

Ralrick

New User
Rick
I built a fairly small box using 3/8" material and would like to find a hidden hinge to use for the opening of the lid (but not the 5mm Barrel hinge that requires a chamfer on both the box and the lid). Has anyone seen a small SOSS type hidden hinge or maybe even a rail hinge that is meant for 3/8" material? Everything I've been able to find seems to indicate 1/2" thick minimum.

Let me know if you've seen anything that you think might work or know a good supplier to check.

Thanks,
Rick

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
You are probably too far along with your project, but a simple pivot pin between the lid and sides would have worked with 3/8” stock.

Ralrick

New User
Rick
I found some 8mm hidden hinges on amazon that might work. would be cutting it realllly close though. ~0.03" clearance on each side for 3/8" thick stock.

I saw the 8mm barrel hinge but didn't think it would be possible to prevent failure with such a thin clearance? I'll probably go with a standard hinge before taking the risk. I thought there would definately be some type of jewelry box or humidor hinge that would be made for 3/8 stock. Ughhhh

Ralrick

New User
Rick
What about these 5mm barrel hinges: Solid Brass Small-Box Cylinder Hinges. The configuration might not work for what you're doing, but figured I'd mention them.

i do have those but you have to cut a 45* chamfer in the box and the lid to use the 5mm hinges. I’m not a big fan of the wayit looks when done. Probably will just go with a small standard hinge since I can’t seem to find anything. When I built the box, I had intended on using the small SOSS hinge but didn’t realize the smallest one I could find was too big for 3/8” stock.

beloitdavisja

James
Corporate Member
Don't know if it would work with your design, but could you glue some small squares to the inside of the box at the top of the rear to give yourself something thicker to install a SOSS hinge? Wouldn't be visible on the outside, and you could do an ogee curve to blend it in a bit. Wouldn't work if you had a drop in drawer, but if it's just a box it could work. Hope that makes sense.

beloitdavisja

James
Corporate Member
Something like this:
1614916422748.png

BKHam

Bradley
User
what about a wood hinge? i bought one of the Rob Cosman wood hinge jigs that allow you to drill a centered hole in a dowel. he has a series of youtube videos on it.

i've thought that you could probably achieve the same centered drilling on a lathe with a chuck but never fleshed out the idea.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS