Hidden Health Risks

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
LOL, I have sprayed so much high VOC finishes from a kid to old age that I can’t smell much no more. And all the saw dust has made my nose hairs denser than Bermuda grass.

And I eat lots of butter, drink lots of wine, live a good life.

They say if you are not totally worn out by the time you knock on the door Saint Peter guards, you did not live life to the full.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Well, I bought my drill press from the ESTATE of someone who did not have a good dust collector. Paint strippers, Acetone, VOC's and even worse things like Muriatic or phosphoric acid can do you in. Sure you can push your luck and give up 20 years of your life. You can jump out of perfectly good airplanes too.

Lots of old drywall compound had asbestos. The old 8 and 9 inch floor tiles, but worse, the black mastic they were stuck down with. Old sheet goods, some ceiling tiles, insulation of course. It was not too long ago when Vermiculite was still being sold as insulation. Full of asbestos.

If you don't care to protect yourself, well maybe you already ingested enough lead and inhaled enough Acetone you can't think very clearly any more. Very sad and I am sorry, but it happens that way. It is nothing to laugh at.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Agreed understanding and recognizing and acknowledging the risks is important. What you decide to do after is your choice and risk.
The main thing is ...you do so with the understanding of those risks.
Asbestos in tile, siding and mastic is a tiny hazard because it is in a stable medium. Old HVAC insulation is the most common risk still out there. Vermiculite (used in gardening) often has high asbestos content than any of the others mentioned. Asbestos, vermiculite and mica are all related.

Solvents - just depends on how much, how often you are using them and which ones you are using.

All dust and smoke are bad. Doesn't matter what is creating it ..... wear a dust mask.

Skymaster

New User
Jack
LOL, I have sprayed so much high VOC finishes from a kid to old age that I can’t smell much no more. And all the saw dust has made my nose hairs denser than Bermuda grass.

And I eat lots of butter, drink lots of wine, live a good life.

They say if you are not totally worn out by the time you knock on the door Saint Peter guards, you did not live life to the full.
ROFLMAO SAME HERE NOSE BLIND

• Haha
Reactions: Oka

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
Over the years of sawing, routing etc. I never worried much about risks. I do watch my step on the solvents. A few years ago I ran into a really rough wood. Bloodwood is not only carcinogenic, but it's oil is sticky. That means if you get in your lungs it stays there. Based on this knowledge I started looking at the risk involved with exotic woods. A lot of these woods are jungle dwellers and have built in poisons for protection. Bad news for us woodworkers. While I was at it I looked at our domestics. There's a few problems there too. Some people are allergic to certain woods walnut being the one most mentioned. It seems that sawdust in general can be carcinogenic, and my shop floor looks like a butcher shop. SO! What am I going to do about it? 1. Vacuum the shop top to bottom. 2. Sweep the floor. 3. Bring my DC system on line. 4. Get rid of the fine dust. It appears that the fine stuff is the worst of the bunch. A Stratus dust filter is next on my buying list. I guess with MDF nothing beats a dust mask. I'm turning 81 this year, and I would like to see a few more years (just maybe a 100) so I better take some steps to protect myself.

Pop

Reactions: Oka

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
The VERY BEST thing for mdf is FIRE :D :D :D :D ;);):cool::cool:

LOL, we just built a big MDF media center for an Architect, 13k worth, built in for his own big new house. That is what he specified and demanded. Part of the deal was that he helps and supervises the construction and installation. 1” thick 96” panels. He ended up with two hernias and the painter ended up dislocating his shoulder in the process.

Once the home is finished, I will post pictures. We still have to install speaker cloth, after all the other trades have left.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
LOL ....... MDF= messy degrading fiber, people love it because it is easy to paint. Not worth the health risks your body getting destroyed.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
LOL ....... MDF= messy degrading fiber,
YUP!
1623675034322.png

That right there.... StEALING that one! :p :cool: :D :cool: :p

Skymaster

New User
Jack
LOL, we just built a big MDF media center for an Architect, 13k worth, built in for his own big new house. That is what he specified and demanded. Part of the deal was that he helps and supervises the construction and installation. 1” thick 96” panels. He ended up with two hernias and the painter ended up dislocating his shoulder in the process.

Once the home is finished, I will post pictures. We still have to install speaker cloth, after all the other trades have left.

Willemjm my friend PLEASE REMEMBER THIS MDF ULTRA LIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mark Johnson

Mark
Corporate Member
I developed asthma and in spite of a big dust collector and Festool sanders had to do something else. I used an Eclipse dust mask for a while, but after the last attack broke down and spent a bunch of money on a 3M forced air system with headgear and full face protection. The battery and blower is on my belt. I thought it would be really a pain, but actually it is not bad. I can wear glasses under the shield and the constant air flow actually cools me off as I work. Mine is the heavy industry versa flow. I got it from Enviro Safety Products because they had the best price for the unit at the time. They have actually followed up on unit performance a couple of times. I get exposed to as close to zero dust as is possible. Obviously I still use all the dust collection equipment as well.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
I developed asthma and in spite of a big dust collector and Festool sanders had to do something else. I used an Eclipse dust mask for a while, but after the last attack broke down and spent a bunch of money on a 3M forced air system with headgear and full face protection. The battery and blower is on my belt. I thought it would be really a pain, but actually it is not bad. I can wear glasses under the shield and the constant air flow actually cools me off as I work. Mine is the heavy industry versa flow. I got it from Enviro Safety Products because they had the best price for the unit at the time. They have actually followed up on unit performance a couple of times. I get exposed to as close to zero dust as is possible. Obviously I still use all the dust collection equipment as well.

Curious, was woodworking the root cause of asthma in your case or a contributor?

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
This is an interesting thread.

I believe many of us here are retired, or at least no longer active in the profession where we spent most of our working life.

Personally, I have been an athlete most of my life, resulting in excellent health in retirement. No medication and have not seen a physician in six years, still have al my fingers and 32 original teeth.

I am always a bit concerned with all the dust in the shop and fumes when spraying. Always been a bit irresponsible though, fallen off motorcycles at 142mph on a race track, fallen off dirt bikes more times than I can remember and to be honest surprised when I hit, 60. Did not think I would make it that far.

So here I am, long past my best before date and on my way to my expiry date. On average athletes don’t live longer, they are just healthier while living. So I am wondering if it is necessary to start bothering about risks at this late stage.

Would love to know what the average age is on the forum?

Mark Johnson

Mark
Corporate Member
Having worked in the chemical industry, I can clearly say that ignoring the impact of solvents on the human body is not good until you are over 120. The impact can be cumulative, but does not have to be; however, the damage can be unreversible. Dust is cumulative in most cases, but again the damage may not be reversible. In terms of age, I am more than 1/2 way to the 120 number.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS