Hickory Bark source?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jarrett

New User
Jarrett
Does anyone know of a place around Raleigh/Durham where I can get some Hickory Bark strips? It's the type generally used for chairmaking (but I'm interested in using it for coopering).

Thanks!

RobS.

Robert Slone
Senior User
I can't help, but I'd like to know where to get them too. I want them for weaving chair seats. All I've found were WO strips for basket weaving. They work but don't last long.

I haven't done any kind of search. Seat weaving is on the back burner right now.

Gregory Paolini

New User
Gregory Paolini
I would imagine if anyone had a line on hickory bark, it would be Brian Boggs. You may want to reach out to him via his website

-gp

James Davis

New User
James Davis
Not trying to overstate the obvious, but the best place to find Hickory bark is wrapped around a Hickory tree.:rotflm::rotflm:

Sorry Jarrett, I couldn't help myself.

James

saw4you

New User
Jack
I have quite a few hickory logs at my place, give me a call 919-669-1859. I am in Rolesville near Wake Forest

Jack

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
I remember seeing a video of Brian Boggs 3-4 years ago (maybe Woodwright's Shop?) going out to where they were cutting timber and it detailed how he harvested Hickory bark. He made it look like fun.:wconfused:

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Didn't Brian invent a machine for processing hickory bark?

Seems like I read that somewhere. :dontknow:

jarrett

New User
Jarrett
James, it sounds like you might be right after all...

Is it fairly easy to process hickory bark? If I'm not mistaken, you need to remove the outer layer and then peel the inner bark into strips. Do the layers come apart easily, or would I have to be careful with a drawknife?

I tried googling "hickory bark processing", but this post is the first search result...

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Brian Boggs does have a DVD:

http://www.woodworkersbookshop.com/...to-chair-weaving-hickory-bark-seats/wc-cd-dvd

Z9812.jpg

Brian Boggs is famous for his beautifully crafted chairs, modern interpretations of traditional Appalachian styles. His favorite seat material is woven hickory bark. Harvesting hickory bark, an extraordinarily strong material, is a lost art. In the DVD, Brian shows you how he has re-invented ways to prepare bark and demonstrates weaving hickory bark seats. 48 minutes, DVD. Lie-Nielsen Toolworks Productions, 2003.

More info from Popular Woodworking:
http://stage.popularwoodworking.com/article/Great_Woodshops10/

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
Didn't Brian invent a machine for processing hickory bark?

Seems like I read that somewhere. :dontknow:

You are correct Mike. I was in Brian's shop in Berea, Ky. and talked with him as he used the machine.

I agree with Mr. P-------------try to contact Brian.

Jerry

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Consider reaching out to Mike (Shamrock). He took a class with Brian Boggs and made a chair with hickory bark, if I'm not mistaken.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS