HF Work Bench

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
I have that exact workbench. It isn't great by any means, but I have been getting by with it for a couple years now. Adding some scrap plywood bracing helped a ton with racking. I think I paid $129 when I got it and I think I have gotten my moneys worth. I didn't have a bench or vice at all before, so I can certainly say that it is much better than having no bench. At some point I will build myself a real bench, but I don't know when I will get around to that....

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
+1 on extra bracing. I had an earlier model with 2 drawers. Racking was the only issue ; held up well.

rcarmac

Board of Directors, Secretary
Robert
Staff member
Corporate Member
Let me know what you end up doing. I have been eyeing the same bench as well and hope to make a purchase next month.

woodsman7933

New User
brian
I have this exact bench and it works great for me anyway. I did add a second small vice on the front also bought from HF and it works well also for smaller tasks. I like the end vice and the dogs could be a bit better but i made my own out of some oak and have had no issues with racking or anything. my only complaint is the height of the bench out of the box. I added 2x4 feet and its just at 36" which is where i like it to be. just my thoughts. have a great one guys and God Bless

Oh, and on a further note make sure you bring the coupon or they will charge the 159 price point as it stands in the store. I had to run back to the house thinking that they would know about it and honor it. my mistake, I make many lol.

Acelectric

Wayne
Corporate Member
I brought it home with me. It is about as I expected but not what I had hoped. It is worth the coupon price of 139.99 but not much more than that. I added some plywood underneath the top to reinforce it somewhat. And one of the drawers is hard to open and close but I may be able to adjust it some.

Overall it is a decent workbench and will do the job until I have time to build a good bench. I will add to this post after I have spent some time working on it.

CLetts

New User
Carl
I bought this same bench with the intent of using this bench until I could afford a "real" one. I put it on locking casters because my shop is less than 400 sq. ft. and I needed to be able to move it often. This brought it up to a nice height at well. I didn't like that it had 5/8" dog holes though so I drilled them out to 3/4". I did this by cutting pieces of 5/8" dowels and marking them with a centering gauge and tapping the centers with a sharp wood screw, then put them into the dog holes. This allowed me to use a 3/4" forstner bit and drill out each dog hole. I also didn't like that the drawers only pulled out about 3/4 of the way and with the benchtop overhang it was annoying getting to the back of the drawers so I bought 2 over extension drawer slides for the top 2 drawers and 2 full extension slides for the bottom drawers. I also added a 7" quick release vice from woodcraft. I've used it for probably 8 years now and just don't have the room for the one I want (sjoberg elite 2000 with cupboard), so I'm still making do with it.

Last edited:

Acelectric

Wayne
Corporate Member
Not much to take a pic of. I just cut some plywood and screwed it to the underside of the top. 2 pieces about 18 1/2" by 22".

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
I'll try to get some pictures of my setup. I cut plywood strips and screwed them on the back in the shape of an "H" to keep it from racking side to side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS