HF link belt

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCraig

New User
Jerry
I have one on a vintage craftsman table saw. It reduced vibration on the saw Also have one on a vintage delta jointer. Both seem to work well. Have not had any problem and been using them for about a year. I would also be interested to see if anyone else uses them and what they think.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
I bought a length a couple weeks ago to put on a fan. Not many realize the original purpose of link belts. They were designed so HVAC techs could replace any length of belt, without having to go to supply house. Just cut to length and couple the two ends. Then Jerry Cole over at In-Line Industries figured out that they also worked on table saws to reduce viberation. Try to get a 20% off coupon from Sunday's paper.

Mark Gottesman

New User
Mark
I had a link belt (red type which I think is the original maker) on an 1950's Craftsman contractor. I removed it when I noticed it would slip on heavy rips. I went to a proper V-Belt from an auto store. The V belt is not as smooth running as the link belt, but it does not slip. Maybe a better quality V-Belt would solve the vibration. I am running a pair of machined steel pulleys.

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
I had a link belt (red type which I think is the original maker) on an 1950's Craftsman contractor. I removed it when I noticed it would slip on heavy rips. I went to a proper V-Belt from an auto store. The V belt is not as smooth running as the link belt, but it does not slip. Maybe a better quality V-Belt would solve the vibration. I am running a pair of machined steel pulleys.

It's possible the link belt was inadequately tensioned or a bit over-length. Link belts, due to their extra stretch are supposed to be made up a bit short and tensioned further than a regular V-belt. Link belts also have a specific direction of travel to them, installing one backwards will increase the likelihood of slippage.

I use a Power-Twist belt for my 18" Rikon bandsaw (may also upgrade my 8" Jet jointer sometime) and have not (so far atleast) had any issues with slipping during heavy resawing (10" Purpleheart, etc.) with a 2-1/2HP motor. I can't vouch for use on tablesaws or drill presses since both of mine use poly-V belts, which are not compatible with link belts. With gravity-tensioned systems (e.g. cabinet saws) you may not be able to generate adequate tension (at least not without some sort of modification) for link belts.

eyekode

New User
Salem
When I researched these I found there were only 2 manufacturers and both were good. So I bought the cheapest I could find. Which is buying from HF with a 20$ off coupon.

I also have one of the red kind. I cannot tell a difference.
Salem

kooshball

David
Corporate Member
I bought the green one from HF a few months back to calm my Delta 14" band saw and it worked like a charm. That saw uses the motor weight to tension the belt so I can't add any extra tension but I have not needed it. If I do bog down the saw, the motor slows along with the blade so there is no slipping at the belt.

gazzer

Gazzer
Corporate Member
I've been using the HF belt on my jointer for about a year and it works great.. As far as I can tell, it is identical to the red one I have on my bandsaw.

-G

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS