HF Lathe loose speed control

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidF

New User
David
Just a note to those of you that have the HF lathe with the swiveling headstock and variable speed.

I was about the start turning yesterday and as I tried to slow the speed down there was a nasty noise from the head stock, increasing the speed did nothing. Opened up the cover and found the set screw that holds the speed changer shaft to the swash plate was loose and about to come out. Applied some lock tite and screwed it back in good and tight. End of the shaft seems to want to go level with the outside of the swash plate.

Might want to check yours. This should really have been a self locking set screw with nylon insert as it's hanging vertical.

T

toolferone

David, thanks for the heads up. That would not be pretty if it came loose.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Thanks David!!!!

Off to check mine this afternoon.

Tom is right. Wouldn't be a pretty sound or sight.:elvis:

Wayne

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
did it make a knocking on rotation when this happened? Mine is doing that now.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Thanks David!!!!

Off to check mine this afternoon.

Wayne

David,

I took the panel off of the side of the headstock, but couldn't seem to see it? Do you have to remove the power switch and the front panel as well?

I must be not following the term "swash plate".

Gosh, I feel dum!!!:icon_scra:icon_scra:confused_:confused_

Thanks

Wayne

DavidF

New User
David
David,

I took the panel off of the side of the headstock, but couldn't seem to see it? Do you have to remove the power switch and the front panel as well?

I must be not following the term "swash plate".

Gosh, I feel dum!!!:icon_scra:icon_scra:confused_:confused_

Thanks

Wayne

No, no need to do that. Take off the head cover and you will see the two sliding pulleys; one on the motor and one driving the main shaft. Inboard of the main shaft pulley you will see a black plate about 1/2" thick (swash plate" at the bottom of that you will see a round shaft coming through a hole. That shaft is attached to the speed control handle and moves towards the outside of the lathe to slow down the speed and towards the inside to speed up. The set screw comes up from the bottom, is threaded into the swash plate and holds the shaft in position. There is about 3/4" of the set screw hanging down at the bottom. If that is loose, as you move the speed control lever the shaft will slide in and out of the swash plate without moving it. The noise comes from the shaft hitting the right side of the main shaft pulley.

I hope that's clear, if not I'll take some pics tonight.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
No, no need to do that. Take off the head cover and you will see the two sliding pulleys; one on the motor and one driving the main shaft. Inboard of the main shaft pulley you will see a black plate about 1/2" thick (swash plate" at the bottom of that you will see a round shaft coming through a hole. That shaft is attached to the speed control handle and moves towards the outside of the lathe to slow down the speed and towards the inside to speed up. The set screw comes up from the bottom, is threaded into the swash plate and holds the shaft in position. There is about 3/4" of the set screw hanging down at the bottom. If that is loose, as you move the speed control lever the shaft will slide in and out of the swash plate without moving it. The noise comes from the shaft hitting the right side of the main shaft pulley.

I hope that's clear, if not I'll take some pics tonight.

Is this the culprit, David?

Mine appears to still be tight, but I will need to find me the right size of allen key (right angle shaft) and some Locktight to be sure.

Thanks so much for the tip and the great explanation!:wsmile:

Wayne

DavidF

New User
David
Is this the culprit, David?

Mine appears to still be tight, but I will need to find me the right size of allen key (right angle shaft) and some Locktight to be sure.

Thanks so much for the tip and the great explanation!:wsmile:

Wayne

That's the beast!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS