Hey from Pilot!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rherrell

New User
Rick Herrell
Hi everybody,
My name is Rick. I've been reading your posts for awhile and have posted once myself. I just realized I haven't introduced myself.
I'm 54 and live in Pilot Mountain. I have been doing sheet metal fabrication in the electric sign industry full time since I was 18. My dad owned a metal shop in San Pedro, CA. (where I grew up) and I started sweeping floors and painting benches and machines when I was about 10 years old. Needless to say fabrication is in my blood.
2 years ago I was helping install a sign and the ladder truck I was on broke. I was up about 35' and had a pretty bad accident. I broke my whole left side (ankle,leg,ribs,arm and shoulder) Now I can't raise my left arm above my head and I walk with a limp.
I still work for the same company but in the office, which means I'm jonesin' pretty bad to build something.
I'm building a shop(wood and metal combined) with some of the insurance money and since woodworking is fairly new to me I'll be asking alot of advice on which machines to buy to equip my shop.
I guess that's it, so Thanks and it's great to be aboard.
Rick

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
Welcome to the site! Do ask lots of questions. I am sure the welcome wagon will show up later this afternoon. Today is the 1st Annual NCWoodworker Spring Fling picnic at jordan lake. We have a pretty nice set of reviews in the review forum. Also, if you are interested in a particular machine, I bet someone can tell you about it.

skeeter

New User
Charles
Hello Rick and welcome to the site. This is a great site with lots of very knowledgable and friendly people who are willing to help. Also hope to see your inputs cause it sounds like you have lots of info to offer us. If you've been reading some of the threads, you notice the saying here is "no pictures, it didn't happen" so request a photo allbum and post pix of your shop as it comes together and show off your projects. We all use the pix as inspiration. Welcome!

M

McRabbet

Welcome to the site, Rick. Sorry to hear about your bad accident, but was happy to hear that your company stood behind you and kept you part of their team. Good luck on your new shop and, as Clay suggested, there are tool reviews in that Forum. In addition, you might want to check out a couple of very useful interactive planning tools to help you with shop layout. First is from Grizzly and is accessed at http://www.grizzly.com/workshopplanner.aspx. Grizzly makes great tools for both wood and metal working with excellent price/performance characteristics (I have several Grizzly power tools -- G1023SLX Tablesaw, G0555 14" bandsaw and G1182HW 6" jointer). A second planner is available from Porter Cable at http://www.porter-cable.com/index.asp?e=6073. As Skeeter suggests, you'll need to request a Photo Gallery and then review the FAQ Forum to learn how to upload pictures to a personal gallery and/or to a post you may make -- everyone is at the Spring Fling Picnic today -- it is being thrown buy our Site Administrator and benefactor, Steve Coles. Many of us wish were could be there, but it just didn't work out this time -- once everyone returns home, you'll see many more welcome messages.

Happy to have you on board.

Rob

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Welcome to the site, Rick!

Enjoy and post often! You will no doubt be able to muster a bunch of opinions here relative to your future tool purchases!

Wayne

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Welcome, I have to say OUCH!!! very sorry to hear about your accident. Thanks for the introduction and I look forward to your inquiries/inputs in the forums.
Dave:)

cskipper

Cathy
Welcome and I second the "Ouch!". Please feel free to jump in - you'll find lots of opinions here! :lol: Seriously, we will be glad to help in any way we can.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Rick, welcome to NCWW. I am glad you could join us here. Feel free to ask away with your questions. There are many talented folks here willing to openly share their knowledge with others. I hope you continue to heal up from your injuries.

D L

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Rick,

Hi. Welcome t the NCWW web site. This really is a terrific place. I don't know much about metal work but I'd bet there are a lot of similarities with wood working. You'll probably be a really quick learn. Be sure to post pics of your work. We'll probably be coming to you when we want to add something metal to a wooden project.

Ray

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
wow, 35 feet and 52 y.o. and that is all you broke! You are one tough guy! Welcome to the gang!

gsdoby

New User
Gary
Welcome from the Dobson area. Good luck with your woodworking. I am sure you will enjoy the site. Maybe we can get together sometime.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Welcome Rick, glad you joined us.

I think the first thing I've learned about woodworking is that you need metal tools (hand or powered) to make sawdust :oops:

So you've got a big headstart on many of us and we look forward to your input :-D

Sapwood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS