Hey from Crowders Mountain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mvpacioc

New User
Michael
Hello everyone!

My name is Michael and I live in the Crowders Mountain area, it's technically West Gastonia but I like the way Crowders Mountain sounds WAY more. I'm 29 (until Monday), a husband (7 years last Wednesday), and father of two (a 3 year old son and a 7 month old daughter). I'm a Network Engineer for a large power company (since this is an NC forum, you can probably guess which - please don't hold it against me if you have a negative opinion of the company, they pay my bills and fund my habits).

I've been a hobbyist woodworker for several years, but just recently getting serious about branching out and doing some more "fine" woodworking. I've spent most of my time as a woodworker doing general carpentry type stuff - I've remodeled several rooms in the house, built storage shed, a fairly large gazebo, and the biggest "personal use" playground you've ever seen (I'm sure pictures of it will pop up somewhere).

I love the idea of being able to create things for a living, but I think it'll have to stay a hobby for a while. Maybe I'll eventually make things and sell them on Etsy or something, but for now I really just enjoy making stuff for the house and for friends and family.

My "shop" is tiny. All my power tools are on mobile bases that I roll into the carport to work. It's nice, except when it's cold, or rainy, or windy, or hot, or when I'm short on time, or when I don't feel like cleaning up immediately. I'd love to build a freestanding shop for everything and have a dedicated space, but I'm not really sure how long we'll be in our current house (as the family grows, so will the house have to).

My main reasoning for joining was to get some exposure into the local woodworking scene and have a sounding board for questions that will inevitably arise as I continue to learn and develop skills.

Looking forward to talking with you!
Michael

Id love for you to follow me on Instagram, that's where you'll see my projects as they happen: @firelight_1226

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
Welcome Michael--------you have found the best site available I believe. Lots of friendly folks here willing to share their knowledge of woodworking. Your desire for a dedicated shop will not come over night but eventually it will come. It will give you time to decide just what area of woodworking allures you, then build your shop accordingly. Best of luck to you!!

Jerry

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Michael welcome to the sawdust pile. We have lots of folks in your neck of the woods. Posts lots of pictures. We love pictures.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Welcome Michael. There's a wealth of A-Z knowledge here so questions and answers are welcomed as we learn from each other in the process. We like pics, both work in progress and finished projects. Carry on and keep making sawdust.

BTW, there's some nice hiking available in Crowder's Mountain State Park for a young family as well as older geezers like me.

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
Welcome aboard, Michael. As you already figured out, you have come to the right web site.

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Welcome to the site Michael and happy Holidays to you and your family

Mvpacioc

New User
Michael
BTW, there's some nice hiking available in Crowder's Mountain State Park for a young family as well as older geezers like me.

Yep! I'm about 5 minutes from the Linwood entrance. We used to go there all the time before the kids. My son is almost old enough to enjoy that, I can't wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS