Hexagon size???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike W.

New User
Mike Weinberger
I would like to make a hex column that would be 11" side to side. How would I figure how wide to make each section? Thanks in advance, Mike W

cpw

Charles
Corporate Member
I would like to make a hex column that would be 11" side to side. How would I figure how wide to make each section? Thanks in advance, Mike W

Mike,

If you want the column to be 11" wide face-to-face then each side of the hexagon would need to be 6 11/32".

11 inch hex.jpg

botebum

New User
Doug
If, for a hexagon, a=D/sqrt(3), then for an octagon, would it be a=D/sqrt(4)? I just ran across this issue at work and didn't have a formula so I called a mathminded friend and he just figured it and gave me the measurement but not how he got it.

Doug

Edit- That doesn't work. My octagon was 26.5" and the sides came out near 11". If I used the formula a=D/sqrt(4) it would have been 13.25" sides. Not to hijack the thread, but, does anyone have the formula for an octagon?

Doug

botebum

New User
Doug
I love Google-

Let W be the width of the octagon
W is also the diameter of the inscribed circle
S be the length of the side
A be the area
P be the perimeter
B be the dimension at right angles to the sides
C be the dimension at right angles from a side to the point of intersection at right angles
from the adjacent two sides
D be the dimension between opposing corners

D is also the diameter of the circumscribed circle
-P-
Then by Reekie's Theorem

S = 0.4142 W B = 0.2929 W

S = 1.4142 B W = 0.3018 P

W = 2.4142 S B = 0.7071 S

W = 3.4142 B D = 1.0824 W

A = 0.8284 W2 P = 3.3137 W

W = 4.8284 C S = 0.3826 D

C = 0.2071 W W = 0.9239 D

W = The square root of 1.2071 A D = 2.6135 S
-----------------------------------------------------------------
W = S + 2B S = W - 2B
A = W2 - 2B2
-----------------------------------------------------------------

octagon2a.gif

Doug
Edit-I googled and found the same site you gave and prepared the post but got called away. When I came back I posted it and found you had already suggested it. Thanks!
Doug

Last edited:

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User

Mike---------I have an old Delta publication somewhere that has a page dedicated to just what you are talking about. If i can find it!!:rolf:

It has to do with inscribed factor and/or circumscribed factor. It gives formulas for using those factors for a lot of poloygons. When I locate it I will try to scan and post the information.

Jerry

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
Mike---------I found the information!!!:eusa_clap

Below is an attempt to attach it. Hope it works.

Jerry

Looks like it did not work-I will try again.

Well--I gotta do more homework. Getting "invalid file" message when I try to upload. How do I get it from TIF file to jpeg???

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
Mike---------I found the information!!!:eusa_clap

Below is an attempt to attach it. Hope it works.

Jerry

Looks like it did not work-I will try again.

Well--I gotta do more homework. Getting "invalid file" message when I try to upload. How do I get it from TIF file to jpeg???

OK-the page is posted, but how do you get it large enough to read??:rolf:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS