Here goes nothin'...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Sonja

New User
Sonja
I'm not so fond of doing intro posts either, because it seems I can never think of anything interesting to say. So what to say? Am I the only female member here, is a good start I suppose. I'm used to having interests that most gals don't though. In middle school I was one of two girls in the Industrial Arts Club, in 8th grade we went to the GA Industrial Arts club competition and I was the only girl in the drafting competition (placed 16th of 56 entries, not too shabby since I'd only taken up drafting 4mos before the competition). I took shop classes all through middle school (6th-8th grades) then couldn't in high school because it conflicted with band class. In IA club though I learned lots of cool stuff like using all the equipment, table saws, band saws, routers, sanders, lathes, etc., and hand tools. I was also the photographer for the club and back in the day before digital, got to develop the negatives and make the prints of the pix I took. Right now I'm trying to brush up my rusty woodworking skills helping cloudancer with his projects, and learning how to do stuff on the lathe more advanced than the little I did back in middle school. (I only worked with cylindrical wood there, never had to turn rough stock to round then.) I still consider myself a complete beginner though, as it's been :shock: never mind how many years since those shop classes.

For now we live in South Durham a little ways from Southpoint Sprawl, we are sort of halfway looking for a better residence (read, one without an HOA so we can build a workshop on our property, and one better set up for other hobbies like reef tanks and such). Our garage is our workshop for now.

I'm also interested in hearing how parents work with kids for safe and fun woodworking projects. My 10 and 6 yr old sons live with their dad but are here some weekends and I'd like to get them doing some woodworking also, I'm pretty sure they'd enjoy it.

Okay, duty discharged! I've always felt that you learn more from people through ongoing discourse and not so much from intros, so I look forward to reading the forums and "meeting" everyone.

-Sonja

cloudancer

New User
Greg Dake
<Welcome to NC Woodworker>

I suppose the above will have to do till somone makes a graphic for it ... poke, poke...

Red Sonja

New User
Sonja
Someone more organized than me could make one animated to look like wood shavings are being carved off a block to form the words "welcome blah blah yadda yadda" sorta like what reef central does with fish and bubbles...

DaveO

New User
DaveO
WELCOME, I've checked out your website and your artwork is ABSOLUTLY FREAKIN' AWESOME, if you are only a 1/64 as talented in woodworking, you would still be better than me. I have heard that you are a turner, I look forward to seeing some pictures of your turning work. Also it's great to have a woman around here, you can help to keep us guys in line, look out for Mshel's avitar. Thanks for introducing yourself. Dave:smile:

Red Sonja

New User
Sonja
DaveO said:
WELCOME, I've checked out your website and your artwork is ABSOLUTLY FREAKIN' AWESOME, if you are only a 1/64 as talented in woodworking, you would still be better than me.

Thanks for the compliments, I enjoy playing around in Photoshop and Illustrator a lot. I feel compelled to add the disclaimer that only the color work is mine on those pages, the line art itself is the work of others, most of them friends that I pester until they give in and give me something to color. :biggrin: The Captain America is Cully Hamner's pencils, the Tellos is Mike "Ringo" Weiringo's pencils, etc. I had hoped at one time to get paying work as a digital colorist in comics but that industry is sadly declining to the point that it's hard for established artists to feed themselves, let alone have room for new blood coming in. :sad:

So far my turning is all practice making square things round, nothing to see, move along... When I get to the point of having anything finished, you'll all find out how dangerous a redhead with a Rebel XT can be to your bandwidth! :biggrin:

-Sonja

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Welcome. We're glad your here! Did you really see the flyer I left at Woodcraft? The stack was still as thick as when I first put there. I've threatened Tom (the manager) to stand at the front passing them out to people, if he didn't push a few himself:smile:

BTW, I have made an attempt at getting people to design a new logo for the site. Perhaps, you'd like to give it a shot. I like sapwood's fanned out state idea, but the color was wrong and I couldn't get him to send me the psd, (sapwood. hint, hint)

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Red Sonja said:
Thanks for the compliments, I enjoy playing around in Photoshop and Illustrator a lot. I feel compelled to add the disclaimer that only the color work is mine on those pages, the line art itself is the work of others, most of them friends that I pester until they give in and give me something to color. :biggrin: The Captain America is Cully Hamner's pencils, the Tellos is Mike "Ringo" Weiringo's pencils, etc. I had hoped at one time to get paying work as a digital colorist in comics but that industry is sadly declining to the point that it's hard for established artists to feed themselves, let alone have room for new blood coming in. :sad:

So far my turning is all practice making square things round, nothing to see, move along... When I get to the point of having anything finished, you'll all find out how dangerous a redhead with a Rebel XT can be to your bandwidth! :biggrin:

-Sonja
Well they may not be entirely your work, but it's the color that makes them pop. You have a good eye for color, very realistic fantasy. Drop down to the gallery to see some of my turnings, I've shown 2 out of the 4 things I've turned, the others ain't worth showing, I am such a beginner it isn't funny, so your in good company. Maybe Big Mike will show some of his work and put us all to shame. Dave:smile:

sapwood

New User
Roger
Well, first a big welcome to Sonja:biggrin: Apparently we get the "two for one special". No doubt Sonja will moderate the moderator (Cloudancer).

Secondly
SteveColes said:
BTW, I have made an attempt at getting people to design a new logo for the site. Perhaps, you'd like to give it a shot. I like sapwood's fanned out state idea, but the color was wrong and I couldn't get him to send me the psd, (sapwood. hint, hint)

Hint taken Steve, with two caveats. The original (and therefore editable) file is Illustrator CS format. Therefore I implore Sonja to assist with this or more appropriately provide her own original art. The pay scale is low, but just think of all the NC Woodworkers that would be viewing your work.

Though I'm not medically color blind, according to LOML beige is the only color I see :rolf:

Why Not?
Roger

Red Sonja

New User
Sonja
sapwood said:
Hint taken Steve, with two caveats. The original (and therefore editable) file is Illustrator CS format. Therefore I implore Sonja to assist with this or more appropriately provide her own original art. The pay scale is low, but just think of all the NC Woodworkers that would be viewing your work.

If someone will send me the file (I have Illustrator CS on one of the desktops around here, not sure which one but I can figure it out w/ a little effort) I'll play with it a bit and see what I can do. It can go to redsonja@gmail.com, lovely gmail with 2+gigs space. :)

-Sonja

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS