Help with Sharpening near Raleigh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

prendwht

New User
Whit
I have a set of Ashley Iles Chris Pye gouges. I'm new to woodcarving and I don't have any experience with sharpening tools. Unfortunately, I attempted to shape and sharpen my gouges with improper equipment. Chris Pye recommends a low outer bevel and the tools, oddly enough, didn't come with the angle he recommends. I ended up buggering up the gouges a good bit. I need help shaping and sharpening my gouges. After taking a decent amount of material off of good tools, I'm afraid to touch them again and embarrassed by my mistakes!

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I'm surprised no one in Raleigh offered to help. I know it is a long way to drive, but if you still need help you are welcomed in my shop. I would shape the chisels for you and teach to to sharpen them.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
DMT makes a diamond stone called the wave that is very good at sharpening carving tools. I can probably help get you started in the right direction if you want to stop by and bring the chisels one day. PM me if you're interested or come by the Raleigh lunch today at Carolina Ale House in Brier Creek and we can talk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS