Help with purchase of Shop Vac

Status
Not open for further replies.

joec

joe
User
I currently use a Makita ROS without any vac attached. I now want to buy a vac just for this and am considering the Fein or the Festool (leaning toward the Fein due to $$). Any advice on which model, filters etc to make the right purchase would be appreciated.

joec

joe
User
Thanks, I have the bucks, just want to consider any options (hepa filters, one micron bag etc) that are listed in the options. Is it worth it? What size Fein?

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Joe,

I don't have either of these brands in the shop but would think you might consider all of the tools you might use with this vac in order to make the best decision about size and power. I think I'd also want to be able to plug one tool into the other so the vac comes on when the tool is powered up... and maybe stays on a few seconds after the tool is turned back off.

joec

joe
User
Joe,

I don't have either of these brands in the shop but would think you might consider all of the tools you might use with this vac in order to make the best decision about size and power. I think I'd also want to be able to plug one tool into the other so the vac comes on when the tool is powered up... and maybe stays on a few seconds after the tool is turned back off.

I am redoing my shop now with insulated floor, walls, doors and windows. With that I am going to put in a cyclone DC for the major tools. I want to have a couple of good vacs that come on when the tools is used to take care of any sanding, freehand router work etc. With the on/off issues with big DC's, I do not think I want to try to hook up small tools use to the DC.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Joe I have the Fein Turbo II and added a Cleanstream HEPA cartridge insert I got from Lowe's for ~$35. You have to tape over or add a big fender washer, nut and bolt to cover the small hole on the bottom but the large opening fits perfectly on the vac. It's filter for Ridgid and Craftsman vacs. Another thing I've experienced is the suction is too much on small sanders so you'll need to experiment with the different settings. I have an old one and had to rig up a vent to bleed off the extra.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Mark,

That is an interesting point about too much suction. I was shopping for one not all that long ago and probably will be again someday. But what I ended up with for the time being is a small 6 gallon ShopVac Quiet Series. I will likely be posting a picture tonight as an accessory for it was delivered today (the rigid flex tube and attachment). I have a CleanStream HEPA filter in it and I daisy chain through a chip separator. I admit that a big motivator for me was that it was cheap, but it is just as quiet. The sound dampening isn't as good, but it has less power and therefore less sound to dampen. People in the next room watching TV don't notice when I have it on. It has the large size inlet, but the standard hose that came with it is the smaller size with an adapter which usually works better with a sander. I have hoses of both sizes as I have another powerful wake-the-dead loud old ShopVac also. Anyway, when I got mine they were about $35 at Big Lots, supposedly for factory reconditioned, but mine was a new one mixed in (I did not complain about that mistake) so I have a full warranty and everything. It was a no brainer at that price, but even at whatever normal is, it is probably worth considering since you said it is just for the sander.

jmauldin

New User
Jim
Whichever one you get, or even a different brand, get one that will use a bag instead of a filter. The filter will constantly load up and suction goes down the tubes. On the other hand, one with a bag will suck the paint off the floor! I found out the hard way.
Jim in Mayberry

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
I just recently won a Onidea Dust Deputy and have it mated with a Rigid
SS shop vac. I also installed a Cleanstream filter and so far, very very little dust makes it to the filter. I only offer this as an option and if I had the coin, I would probably have a Fein or Festool. As mentioned, some vacs provide too much suction and impede the sanding function. I believe the Festool vac has a means of adjusting the amount of suction so the tool operates at it's maximum efficiency. Money aside, I wouldn't recommend a regular shop vac, due to the noise level, etc. The Rigid I have is IMHO, very quiet compared to the Shop vac brand, Sears, etc.

Mike

mike_wood

Update your profile with your name
User
I have the Fein T II and it is the best piece of equipment in my shop. If it stopped working tomorrow I would buy another one the next day. Festool is good but way overpriced. Consider carefully before buying a ShopVac brand. I have had two, a small and large one, both gifts, and felt they were one of the worst vacuums I have ever experienced. You will not go wrong with Fein.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS