Help with picking a finish for exterior use

gfernandez

Gonzalo
Corporate Member
Hi All,
I am in the process of building a new dashboard for a convertible. It is a maple veneer with a plywood middle. Looking for recommendations for the best type of finish to protect it from the sun. Am looking to keep the natural maple color as best I can. Had someone suggest using a spar varnish in a 3-2-1 application, but am open to any and all opinions.
Thanks,
Gonzalo

Last edited:

SteveHall

Steve
Corporate Member
...Sikkens Cetol Marine

Interesting, I was just researching this last week for Ipe (Brazilian Walnut) decking. This product appears to be AkzoNobel Interlux Sikkens Cetol Marine now. But I'm also seeing the PPG ProLuxe Cetol identified on the can with "same Sikkens formula, new name" although no "marine" formulations.

AllanD

Allan
Corporate Member
Kinda sounds like you or someone is restoring this car. If that includes body work and painting then you could ask the body shop to spray clear coat on the dash when they do the exterior. 2K clear coat will be very tough

gfernandez

Gonzalo
Corporate Member
Kinda sounds like you or someone is restoring this car. If that includes body work and painting then you could ask the body shop to spray clear coat on the dash when they do the exterior. 2K clear coat will be very tough
It is me. Unfortunately, it does not need any body work or paint. Thanks for the input.

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
Is this a fun/fair weather car or something that will be out in the elements?

I’ve used minwax helmsman spar varnish for an interior counter and it’s held up for well over 10 years, but the same finish outside has not faired nearly as well.

Fine Homebuilding usually provides solid information and the article linked below recommends McClosky Man o War for an exterior door (which probably gets more abuse than a dashboard):

Jeff

New User
Jeff
You won't be able to maintain the light color of the maple with a quality marine varnish like Epifanes or Interlux. You will get excellent protection against sunshine (uv degradation). That's the trade-off with a varnish.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS