Help with old vise

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Justice

David
Corporate Member
Hi, I know this is a long shot, but does any know where I might pick up one of these? It's a nut from a very old Columbian QR bench vise, this one is worn out and slips. I don't know what the model number is, it's not printed anywhere on the vise that I can find. I have posted a picture of the nut and vise.

If there are any machinists out there, how hard do you think it would be to machine one of these?

I don't want to break the bank. I have one of these as my front vise and would love to add this one on the end of my bench.

I have scoured the internet and haven't been able to find one.

Thanks!

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_5479.jpg
    IMG_5479.jpg
    297.1 KB · Views: 282
  • IMG_1966.jpg
    IMG_1966.jpg
    317.5 KB · Views: 276
Last edited:

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I would think a brass casting may be a viable option if the old shaft could be used to infill the pattern in some way.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Is there some sort of sentimental tie to this vise for you? If not, maybe just buy 2 new vises of whatever brand for your workbench.

David Justice

David
Corporate Member
No sentimental value whatsoever, but I love old tools and good vises are expensive! I found a place called Milwaukee Tool and Equipment Company from one of the links that Bill or Steve sent(thanks!) although I don't remember which, or exactly how I got there. I emailed and they do have a nut that they say they have sold for Columbian vises and it works for $29.00! So, pretty good.

Thanks for everyones help!

David Justice

David
Corporate Member
Yeah, it seems that I have kind of an oddball QR vise. While most old QR vises use a nut that wraps all the way around and uses gravity to engage and disengage, mine uses a screw with one flat side and a nut that just kind of floats in a pocket and is engaged when the screw is turned about a quarter turn of the flat part. I have never seen one these before.

That is a great site by the way! I love old tools and wish that I had room to restore some old American machines, but I don't so I have to tinker around with vises and hand planes.

I will definitely post back when I get the part.

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
Columbia vises are really great. I have had the 2 on this bench for 25 years. I won't have a vise that you can not change the faces with new wood or be able to remove and plane so they are flat and smooth every year of two.

1-bench_003.JPG

I used a square hole top when I started out but the round holes are more useful for me these days. I use the holdfast bars Joel at TFWW sells.

V1_1_.JPG

Hope you can keep her going.​

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS