help with keyword search

Status
Not open for further replies.

zapdafish

Steve
Corporate Member
I am trying to do a search for raleigh saw and the only keyword it is searching on is Raleigh. How do I tell it to search on more than one keyword?

I've tried the following
raleigh saw
raleigh, saw
+raleigh +saw

and each time it just says the keyword is raleigh. I am not seeing anything under advanced search either where I can say require all words or something like that.

Mainly wanting to double check that people are happy with them.

thnx

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Try searching for "Raleigh saw", INCLUDING the quotes. Without the quotes, the software will search for each keyword individually, and guess what - we have thousands and thousands of posts that include the word 'saw', so it's dropped.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.14) Gecko/20101001 (CK-IBM) Firefox/3.5.14 ( .NET CLR 3.5.30729)

zapdafish

Steve
Corporate Member
thnx, that did it
Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/4.0; SLCC2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; Media Center PC 6.0; MDDR; InfoPath.2; .NET4.0C; .NET4.0E; .NET CLR 1.1.4322)

sushinutnc

New User
Mike
I'm expanding on Bas' reply in case anyone needs help getting better search results. I just posted some search results for someone who could have done the search himself, but I'm well aware that this forum's user base likely has a wwwwwiiiiiddddddeeeeee array of computer skill levels. So I thought others might find this useful.

Using the quotes means search for this exact phrase. This works in many (but not all) search functions across the Internet, including Google. I'm surprised at how few people know about this feature. I RARELY use Google without including a phrase with quotes. It can greatly increase the accuracy of the returned results (although Google's recent changes, including the Google Instant feature make this helpful tip less essential than it used to be).

For future reference for anyone needing help with special syntax for forum searches:

Fulltext Boolean Search Operators and Syntax for vBulletin

(This assumes this board uses all these features... I didn't test. Hope it's fully accurate). ;)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2.12) Gecko/20101026 Firefox/3.6.12

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors