Help With Jointer- Coplanar Issue

Hillch12

New User
Christian
Hi folks,

I’m a relatively new woodworker here in Raleigh that has recently decided to take my interest in the hobby up a couple notches. I found a good deal on an 8” Jet Jointer (model JJ-8CS) and picked it up a couple weeks ago.

Since then, I’ve been on the losing end of a war to get this thing coplanar. I’ve read every article and watched every video. Some people I’ve talked to have said I’m being too picky, but I don’t think it’s too much to expect a niche tool like the jointer to do its one job well.

This is a huge ask, but I’m looking to see if someone may be willing to come out and take a look at this thing with me. If I could figure it out watching videos, I’d have done so by now. I could really use an experienced eye to work on it with me. I’m happy to pay someone for their time; I’m about to tear my remaining hair out trying to get this thing right.

If you are in the Raleigh area and might be willing to take a look with me, I will make myself available at any day/time.

Thank you for your consideration,
Christian

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
stating the obvious, the outfeed table needs to be at the same height as the cutters/cutterhead. The infeed table needs to be parallel to that line. Do you have an accurate straight edge to measure the differences?

Hillch12

New User
Christian
stating the obvious, the outfeed table needs to be at the same height as the cutters/cutterhead. The infeed table needs to be parallel to that line. Do you have an accurate straight edge to measure the differences?
Hey Bowman. I do, yes. It appears that one or both of the tables is sagging towards the back, and the area towards the front of the cutter head is lower than towards the back, closer to the fence.

Warped Woodwerks

Senior User
The last time I used a jointer was in 93', so I can't help you.

A video I came across, before, is from "WoodWorkWeb". Maybe this will solve all of the jointer problems, or at least correct some?

Hope this is of some use.

Rory

Hillch12

New User
Christian
I just went through a similar issue with my powermatic 8”

I can help this weekend. I am in ne raleigh. What area are you in?
Hey Phil. I’ll DM you. Thank you!
Scratch that, apparently I can't direct/private message folks on the forum because I have a new account. I'm about 15min east of Raleigh in Wendell. I'm born and raised in NE Raleigh though! Since we can't DM one another, please feel free to shoot me an email at hillch122@gmail.com

Thanks!

Last edited:

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
one question. What is the model # ? I want to do some research

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
If Phil can't break free, let me know. If not in parallel planes, it may take some shims or honing. If really used, maybe bearings.
I had a very hard time when one blade was slightly off. ( Love my Shelix head, no more problems)

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
One of the best books you can own for a shop reference is John White's Care and Repair of Shop Machines.
This section has his instructions for a Master Bar that can outcompete most high end, long straight edges and not cost a lot of money. It uses a series of 3 bars with evenly spaced drywall screws that you adjust until you eliminate clicking:
He also has detailed setup and adjustment instructions for both styles of jointers.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
my retirement was too short. Due to the crazy increase in construction, the company begged me to return for the rest of 21. They have been good to me so I said I would help.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
my retirement was too short. Due to the crazy increase in construction, the company begged me to return for the rest of 21. They have been good to me so I said I would help.
Ahhh so your 'chiropractic endeavors' are now limited to weekends?!
Working as you choose can be a good thing, tho' it slows the pace of the kitchen and house reno.

Last edited:

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
One of the best books you can own for a shop reference is John White's Care and Repair of Shop Machines.
This section has his instructions for a Master Bar that can outcompete most high end, long straight edges and not cost a lot of money. It uses a series of 3 bars with evenly spaced drywall screws that you adjust until you eliminate clicking:
He also has detailed setup and adjustment instructions for both styles of jointers.
Ditto on the book recommendation. I made a master bar from that book which you (Hillch12) may borrow.

Hillch12

New User
Christian
Thank you to everyone for the responses. One of the things that has definitely taken me by surprise as a fairly new woodworker is just how much tool maintenance and tuning is involved. It doesn’t seem to be discussed terribly much by the online woodworking community (understandably so, it isn’t “sexy”) so it has surprised me how much time and effort it takes.

All part of the learning curve though, so I’m enjoying the process of understanding how these incredible tools really work.

Looking forward to meeting up with Phil this weekend!

waitup

New User
Matt
I've got a 25 year old jointer that was given to me. Once I get the rust off of it, I'll probably be asking the same questions you have here.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS