Help with Cocobola

Status
Not open for further replies.

meika123

New User
Dave Snider
Hi guys,
I am beginning a project in which I will be using some Cocobola. I have never used this species B4, and would like some input on the best way to machine and finish. I understand the dust from machining this material is quite "NASTY" however. :-( :-(
Thanks,

Dave in NC

Kyle

New User
Kyle Edwards
I would wear a respirator and cover your skin. You may or may not react to it, but the reaction can be severe if it does occur.

jglord

New User
John
I second Kyle's recommendations.

I have turned a few pens with cocobola and have found it to be very easy to work with. It is very hard, so keep your tools very sharp. ;-)

The only time I've felt any problem with cocobola was when turning without a whole shop dust collector and then it was a slight irritation in my nose. Of course you want to wear a dust mask when sanding, as I'd recommend when doing any sanding on the lathe. Sanding produces the finest dust and I find I sneeze wood dust for several hours after sanding, if I don't use a dust mask. :rolf:

[BANANA]Other than the dust and sharp tools, enjoy. Post some pics when you make something.[/BANANA]

meika123

New User
Dave Snider
I second Kyle's recommendations.

I have turned a few pens with cocobola and have found it to be very easy to work with. It is very hard, so keep your tools very sharp. ;-)

The only time I've felt any problem with cocobola was when turning without a whole shop dust collector and then it was a slight irritation in my nose. Of course you want to wear a dust mask when sanding, as I'd recommend when doing any sanding on the lathe. Sanding produces the finest dust and I find I sneeze wood dust for several hours after sanding, if I don't use a dust mask. :rolf:

[banana]Other than the dust and sharp tools, enjoy. Post some pics when you make something.[/banana]

What about finishing. Will this material accept any oil, or other external finish. I don't think it will. I was thinking about machining it and buffing with a clean, cotton floppy buff. Whaddayathink??

Dave in NC

jglord

New User
John
I very strongly recommend using oil on Cocobola. I will really make the grain and color pop. I've also used the turner's build finish - a combination of shellac and wax, with great results. :eusa_danc

sediener

New User
Steve
I haven't used cocobola but have heard that you need to clean glue joints with mineral spirits or some other solvent prior to glue up to remove oils that can reduce the glue's effectiveness.

- Steve

Big Mike

New User
Mike
It is said there are two kinds of people; those who are allergic to cocobolo and those that will be...

I have had no reactions to cocobolo yet but some other people I know say that everyone will eventually succumb to its toxicity. John mentioned a slight tickle in the nose. I fear that is indicative of some sensitivity. Be very careful when working with the exotics as most of them seem to trigger ill effects on a lot of people.

As far as finishing, I sand cocobolo to 12000 using wax as a lubricant and then finish with wax. That is about all the finish it needs. It is very oily and some finishes can react badly with the oils and in a few week you will have a "sticky" finish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS