Help with a taste test

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
Tried this one as a variant to the ones I normally sell. Bottom dispense, top fill, with a click in CrushGrind mechanism.

I thought it looked OK, wife thought it looked awful.

It sold last night, after a while.

Thumbs up or thumbs down?

B39F2D60-9965-43FC-AF07-04CEAD157AD5.jpeg

Brantnative

Jeff
Corporate Member
Simple, functional design. I might have rounded the edge a little more where the top cap meets. But I like it and obviously so did someone else.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
It's all a matter of taste. Personally, I like the two woods together and the clean, simple lines. Others may want something more elaborate.

mquan01

Mike
Corporate Member
it doesnt appeal to me. Something looks wrong at the top. But I am no design expert either. Someone liked it though.

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
it doesnt appeal to me. Something looks wrong at the top. But I am no design expert either. Someone liked it though.
agreed, I don't like the top. but you can't please everyone, and I recognize the good quality work that went into it. Clearly someone liked it since it sold.

Bear Republic

Steve
Corporate Member
I wouldn't say awful. I'm with the group, I think its the top. it flows from the bottom to the middle but top is off. Maybe if the line of the maple continued onto the walnut on the top, ) ( , rather than a button on the top. In the end someone loved it and that's all that matters.

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
A pepper mill needs to be obvious in how it works. Your pepper mill is ambiguous as to which part turns. Do you turn the button at the top or the maple body? The operation is easy once you handle it, I suppose.

Roy G

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
As usual I'll be the contrarian. For me the top is what interests me. The form of the knob itsef is interesting, looks like a little polished stone, and the little chamfer/bevel below it is distinctive. I've been puzzling over how to integrate those features better with the overall form. I'm sure there are constraints given the innards. But if possible I'd like to see a more slender neck flaring out as low as possible to mate up with the base. Maybe repeat the bevel detail where the neck meets the base.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Looks good, Just a functional thought, anything I do that will have hands on it all the time, personally I use a darker wood, but then according to my wife that is because it is the way I compensate for my sloppiness ... :p. Beholder's eye is the answer, it sold so, awesomne

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Your others, as you showed me, are top dispense which has the advantage of not leaving pepper grindings on the table. Curious as to why you are shifting to bottom dispense.
I am leaning towards your wife's grade, sorry

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
LOL, appreciate all the responses, thanks folks.

The bottom Walnut part is held and the Maple part is rotated to grind. The Walnut plug at the top is the filler plug.

Below are the ones I normally make, they sold as fast as I could make them, but I was never sure if it was the 100 year old Pecan tree which spalted, taken down by the city of Wilmington’s request. Or was it the design? I am out of that lumber, so I can no longer use that for advertising. I have made approximately 1,500 of these and they sold out really fast.
7550D7C6-4A28-4179-9945-7D25C6527ACD.png

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
Your others, as you showed me, are top dispense which has the advantage of not leaving pepper grindings on the table. Curious as to why you are shifting to bottom dispense.
I am leaning towards your wife's grade, sorry
I think your analogy is accurate Phil. Tried something different on the lathe and it took almost three months to sell the one I made.

To answer your question, I get the occasional request for a bottom dispense, which I normally don’t make to put into inventory.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Willem, I liked the first pair you displayed in this thread, but I Really Like the second pair!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS