Help With A Shaper

Lowell Mate

New User
Lowell
I just purchased a shaper. I have never used one before. I bought it in order to be able to do template work. If there is anyone out there who'd be willing to give me some tips as to the best way in which to get started, I'd appreciate it. I'm in Wilmington, but happy to travel to anyone's shop in order to receive some worthwhile instruction. Thanks.

Skymaster

New User
Jack
What are your specific questions? FIRST SHAPERS EAT BODY PARTS WITHOUT HESITATION :} I run a 2hp Jet shaper with care, they are wonderful

Lowell Mate

New User
Lowell
1. What is the best height and material with which to create a template? 2. Should the template sit on top and should I attach safety handles to it? 3. Can I leave the fence in place, or, because I am using a template that will be cut on all sides, is it better to start with a pin in the shaper and ease it into the cutter? How much excess material beyond the template is safe to trim? 1/8"? 1/4"?

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Here's the only photos of rub collar work I've got Maybe this will help.

1      shaper - 1.jpg 1      shaper - 2.jpg 1      shaper - 3.jpg 1      shaper - 4.jpg 1      shaper - 5.jpg 1      shaper - 6.jpg

Skymaster

New User
Jack
First off, that is some fantastic work! First, i always keep template on top, this is safer since the cutter is always UNDER the template. #2 I would change those rub collars for bearings,they make them for almost anything,solid collars have a very good chance of burning the wood. Appears you have a 1 1/4 arbor, standard industrial, more accessories for that size than any other! #3 Pin starter is very good, just move fence out of the way. You can put handles on the templates,which is a great idea. #4 Some of your cutters appear to be HSS, it is sharper than carbide but needs lots of sharpening, which changes the size everytime, suggest carbide, you probably will not out live carbide cutters :}:}:}
#5 NEVER NEVER USE THE BACKSIDE OF THE CUTTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Places for cutters, Grizzly,not the best but for our uses fantastic, Infinity has great tools, FREUD fantastic, They make a spiral bit 3/4 dia with rub bearings on both the top and bottom which cut beautifully. You seem to have a silent but excellent backround from looking at your work. Did I miss anything? you can always PM any questions aanytime.
Jack

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
The rub collar on the first two photos is a standard ball bearing rub collar.
For solid lumber, HSS is the best. Carbide is dull-ish to begin with and just gets duller over time. I have lots of carbide cutters and use them regularly, but when I need an extra good finish, I'll go to HSS. The fourth photo is a helical carbide cutter with ball bearings on the bottom. I had to get a profile on short pieces of 2" tall stock. Loading and unloading from the top allows the use of hold down clamps.
I've seen people use the double stick tape for hand router templates, but that stuff of gooey to get off.

Skymaster

New User
Jack
Great, you sound like you have it doing on :} super. Double stick I never used, I am old stick in the mud, IF I cant clamp it than I will come up with another SOLID way lol.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors