Help with a lamp project

Status
Not open for further replies.

chgorugbyref

Jonathan
Corporate Member
The queen of the castle purchased two reading lamps for our boys' bedroom that need to be hardwired (not ideal) and are [MAD]non-returnable[/MAD]. My question is does anyone have experience converting hard-wired items to corded with an in-line switch? How much of a hassle and is it something an electric novice can pull off without worrying about burning the house down?

Thank you in advance!

Jonathan :confused_ :icon_scra

russellellis

New User
Russell
Its fairly easy if youre comfortable with doing light electrical wiring. You can get the "kits" at hd or lowes. they generally only have white or brown wire with integrated roller switch in 6-12' lengths.
Or you can make your own line/cord with some bulk lamp cord and a inline switch. or if youre really comfortable you can replace the light socket with one that has the switch in it and then run new lamp cord with a plug.

chgorugbyref

Jonathan
Corporate Member
Thank you. That is what I had hoped. I'm no electrical wiz, but "light electrical" sounds about my pace. I will make a trip to the big box.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
When wiring a lamp, be sure you have correct polarity on the cord. Lamps should be wired with the neutral wire connected to the threaded portion of the socket and the hot wire to the tip in the bottom center. This averts unintentional electrocution or grounding. Look closely at your lamp cord & you'll see one side should have small ribs or splines on it. Just use this as a guide when installing the plug and the socket to maintain polarity with each other. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors