Help with a design?

Jak3

New User
Jacob
For some time I have been wanting to make a traditional style toolbox. I'd like it to look like an old toolbox maybe from the 18th century. Like this one: Antique Dovetail Tool Box Filled with Old-fashioned Tools

I started cutting dovetails for the case, but I'm not sure how the skirt is attached to the base, or how to attach the bottom to a toolbox like this, also how to get the frame and panel lid right which also has a little moulding around it. If you can help explain some of the tricks to making a box like this I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Also where could I find some cool old fashioned hardware for my toolbox?

ktqHkJQ.jpg

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Send me a private message w/ your email and I'll send you a PDF of plans for a very similar chest. It appears the skirt is screwed on from the inside.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Christopher Schwartz has made tool chests like the one you showed. He did a video for Popular Woodworking where he made one out of plywood, but he goes over the traditional construction techniques as well. Apparently, the bottom and skirt are simply nailed.

Video here ->

gritz

New User
Robert
I have my grandfather's heart pine toolbox. Probably built in the 20s It is nailed.

Jak3

New User
Jacob
Are you making the box to the dimensions given in your picture (20.5" x 12.75" x 10" h)? Do you have old vintage tools to put in it for display?

Horton Brasses makes nice hand forged wrought iron hardware.

Ok great I’ll check out their hardware. I’m not making it to the dimensions listed in that link. I kind of arbitrarily came up with my own dimensions. So I hope I don’t regret the ones I chose. It’s not going to be a large chest but a moderate sized toolbox.

I’m going to put my most used tools in it. Most of my tools are vintage. My only “newly produced” tools are ones that I absolutely could not come across their vintage counterpart.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
I believe Tremont Nail Company in Wareham, MA still makes old fashioned cut nails in all sizes. They are also available on Amazon.

Last edited:

Jak3

New User
Jacob
I believe Tremont Nail Company in Wareham, MA still makes old fashioned cut nails in all sizes. They are also available on Amazon.

I’m definitely going to order some! I need to pick some hinges from Horton brasses. So they’ll both be on the way while I work on the box

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
I think Roy Underhill made one with Christopher Schwartz. Maybe you can get one of the episodes on Youtube or from UNC tv.

Roy G

Jak3

New User
Jacob
I think Roy Underhill made one with Christopher Schwartz. Maybe you can get one of the episodes on Youtube or from UNC tv.

Roy G

Okay, awesome. I've taken a lot of ideas from Christopher Schwartz's youtube series.
Here is where it's at right now. Made the bottom skirt and put a chamfer around it, made the top skirt and glued it up with hide glue yesterday, started making parts for frame and panel lid, ordered some hinges and a half mortise box lock from Horton. Ordered some tremont nails from amazon, nails and glue will fasten the skirts to the box.

ntmBjpt.jpg

gVhRqgM.jpg

Jak3

New User
Jacob
My first ever frame and panel door/lid. Got it glued up yesterday. It was probably the most challenging single part of a project I have made. I had to be really careful measuring and marking, and very careful cutting the joints but with the sacrifice of a few test/ set up blocks, I think it turned out pretty good. It's anywhere between a 1/16" and a 1/32" oversize on each edge of the box so I can flush it up and put the dust seal rim around it which will mate with the upper skirt on the box.

I cut the groove all the way around with a Stanley no. 45 and cut the 1/4" mortises with a Jet bench-top mortiser. Tenons with a handsaw, chisel and router plane. I was very careful not get any hide glue on the panel, ONLY on the mortise and tenons.

GAfqS0s.jpg

tTzlS3p.jpg

Before glue up

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I think the skirt boards should have been 1/32" narrower, for aesthetic purposes. Why don't you send me this prototype you're building and you can begin the real one :) :) Those are some FANTASTIC looking dovetails, really nice work.

Jak3

New User
Jacob
I think the skirt boards should have been 1/32" narrower, for aesthetic purposes. Why don't you send me this prototype you're building and you can begin the real one :) :) Those are some FANTASTIC looking dovetails, really nice work.

Hmm I see now... Maybe that would have made it look less clunky and more refined....:)
Honestly Thank you for your kind words. It’s all thanks to Paul Sellers and the Jonathan Katz Moses dovetail jig. And I started making a shallow rabbet on my tail boards to help with laying out the pins. Those two things really improved my dovetails.

Reactions: Bas

Jak3

New User
Jacob
Here's where it's at this morning. Lock is in place, hinges on, and keyhole escutcheon friction fit with hide glue. No issues with the brass screws except the ones going into the lid were too long so I had to clip them with pliers so they wouldn't protrude from the top. All the holes for the screws pre drilled and threaded with a steel screw.

Sadly, after adding the skirt around the top I found that the little key was too short to engage the locking mechanism. I had to file off some of the decorative bead on the key so it would go in further to make it operate. At least it works. Always little challenges come forward right when a project starts to come together.

Bottom skirt has a riser block to lift the chest up a little bit. installed cut nails and hide glue to hold everything in place. Really proud of how it turned out, it isn't done, needs a bit of cleaning up. Still have to lay out for tools inside and the removable till.

I really wanted this toolbox to be made in the likeness and spirit of the 18th century, and while I did not make it completely by hand, I think it represents that spirit pretty well.

AUVLjQh.jpg

oSyhIW9.jpg

Until next time, thanks.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS