Help with a Beginners set of Carving Tools

Status
Not open for further replies.

W Burton

New User
Bill
I am signed up for a class next October on adding detail work to wood projects. Day one is decorative joinery, next day is veneering, and days three and four are carving and shaping. That's where I need some help. This will be my first experience at learning about carving. The tool list says to bring any carving tools you have. (All I have a little set of 5 Flexcut tools) They then mention a Wayne Barton chip carving knife, which I have acquired.

The tool list then says "at least bring the following:"
Straight tools with bevels on both sides 1/4", 3/8", 1/2", 3/4" (sounds like bench chisels to me)
Gouges -- #5-20mm, #7-14mm, #8-13mm, #9-10mm
Veiner -- #11-10mm, #7-5mm
Parting Tools -- 1/4"-45 degree, 3/8" - 60 degree

Rather than trying to find these specific tools, I think I would be better off seeking out a starter set which would be a bit more suited to a beginner in carving. With that said, can anyone give me a little advice on a set which would not necessarily have those specific tools, but have enough variety to do some basic carving. Ideally, the set would have tools that would at least be close to the ones listed.

What do the carvers here think would be a good starter set of carving tools? I am thinking 10 to 12 tools? Probably there are some who can do magnificent work with fewer than that!

Thanks for any advice you can provide.

Bill

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
Bill, You can check with the school, but if they specifically mention those sizes and sweeps then they have probably matched them to a pattern you'll be carving.

Did they identify a specific carving tool manufacturer?

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Bill, I once thought of carving wood and acquired a few tools, mostly Pfeil from Woodcraft. I discovered the reason there are so many shapes and widths is that each tool carves a specific shape so you need a myriad of tools to carve all the various curves and shapes you'll run across. I would recommend you get the tools they recommend and not get a set unless you run across a great deal. You can spend a considerable amount on these tools so you should only get what you need.

Roy G

W Burton

New User
Bill
They did not mention a specific manufacturer. I will check if we are doing a pre-selected pattern. Thanks!

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
Bill, The sizes and sweeps of carving tools are not "standardized" and can vary between manufacturers. Consequently, a Swiss Pfeil #5-20 may vary from an Flexcut #5-20 or another manufacturer.

Generally speaking, if they request specific sizes and sweeps then they are also usually from a specific maker.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
I would think twice before acquiring that selection they list. The list is curious I wonder what you will be carving that would require so many different straights. I think one straight (#1) chisel if fine (no, they are not bench chisels, which are single bevel). And rather than a veiner, a V gouge (8-10mm 60°). I also like fishtail chisels better than straights when possible.

Mary May and Chris Pye are excellent sources for mallet carvers. Chippingaway.com offers some Pfiel brand Mary May starter sets which IMO are an excellent bargain for Pfiels. (BTW, I highly recommend Pfeil full size tools. They will be honed & ready for use.) If nothing else, see what's in the set to guide you.

Hope this helps.

W Burton

New User
Bill
I would think twice before acquiring that selection they list. The list is curious I wonder what you will be carving that would require so many different straights. I think one straight (#1) chisel if fine (no, they are not bench chisels, which are single bevel). And rather than a veiner, a V gouge (8-10mm 60°). I also like fishtail chisels better than straights when possible.

Mary May and Chris Pye are excellent sources for mallet carvers. Chippingaway.com offers some Pfiel brand Mary May starter sets which IMO are an excellent bargain for Pfiels. (BTW, I highly recommend Pfeil full size tools. They will be honed & ready for use.) If nothing else, see what's in the set to guide you.

Hope this helps.

I thought the list was curious, too. With the price of the tools, I am going to seek some clarification before purchasing anything.

Chris Pye was teaching a class next door to my class in Maine last Fall, and I was amazed at the tool collections some of the students had. For a couple of days of introductory carving, I just want to get the minimum tools needed.

Thanks for the good advice.

W Burton

New User
Bill
Bill, The sizes and sweeps of carving tools are not "standardized" and can vary between manufacturers. Consequently, a Swiss Pfeil #5-20 may vary from an Flexcut #5-20 or another manufacturer.

Generally speaking, if they request specific sizes and sweeps then they are also usually from a specific maker.

That's good to know. The tool list was very specific on some items, and others were somewhat vague. I will seek some clarification. Thanks for the good advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS