Help the dog park...Ral

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
This message can to us through the webmaster contact system. I think it is something that everyone should see. I bet we can help them out. The project seems simple enough. Here's the request:

My name is Tracy Newton and I am chairing the Milbrook dog park's booth at Bark Around the Park (an annual parks and rec. event). The dog park is not city funded or supported, so we will be trying to get donations at Bark around the park. My idea is to make puppy paw prints. I have already had someone donate plaster/cement, And have requested another group to make a portion of the boxes we will need to hold the plaster. What I an asking of this group is if any of the members would be willing to make about 30 total boxes and donate the to the dog park for our fundraiser. We want 6in x 6in boxes with 3in height, with a back only. Please let me know if you would be willing to donate your scrap wood and time to benefit our park. Thank you!
Tracy
labpointer07atyahoodotcom
(919)274-0175

I don't know how nice they are looking for, but I have a bunch of scrap plywood that would be perfect for this.

Dave:)

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
I have some pressure treated 1 X 4s about 16 feet long. They are probably 70 or 80 % usable... depending on how pretty the boxes have to be. Maybe a combo of my 1 X 4s and DaveO's plywood...?

Is there someone here who has some spare time and wants this wood?

Ray

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
If someone will come over and help, I will throw in on the construction.

Might have to buy a tool or two though:wink_smil.

J

jeff...

Wow you guys even have a Dog Park? we don't have a park at all. It would be nice if the kids in our town had one. That was supposed to happen many years ago but never did.

Thanks

jerrye

New User
Jerry
If I read this right these "boxes" are just forms to hold the plaster til it dries, right? Might want to confirm this. Makes a difference in quality of construction and materials used. If these need to be pretty, I probably am not your man. If they are forms, that I can do.

JohnW

New User
John
MORE INFO....

Folks...This is a very nice park and they do a good job keeping it nice and holding events there. It is run via donations and the volunteers do other good things to help our four legged friends besides this park. In other words..I think this is a worth while cause and project.

The fund raising event Tracy mentioned will be held on April 26th...but she needs the boxes a week or so before just for coordination purposes.

To help raise funds during the event, folks can bring their pets to the park and have plaster paw prints made on-the-spot in the 6" x 6" box she is asking for. The boxes will be taken home by the pet owners so they are NOT A FORM but a keepsake. They do not have to be finished as the owners can do that at home based on whether they will be inside, outside, painted or stained. But the boxes should be nice.

Nice being a relative term I'll try to expand. The 5-sided boxes just need to be:

About 6" x 6" x 3" deep. (2.5" would be OK and proportionally better)
Square corners (any kind of joint you want. Miter, box, butt, lap etc...)
Bottom attached how ever you want but screws would be just fine. What ever you can do will be appreciated.

P.S. I live in Charlotte but have some "grand pugs" that spend some nice afternoons at this park. I've got some scrap poplar and 1/4" ply and will pop out a few this weekend. Plan on miter or half lap joints and attaching the bottom with screws. That should add strength to the joints. Might even throw on a coat or two of shellac. That way the dog owner can finish it any way they like...or just keep as is.

I'll follow-up and arrange to deliver any boxes we can make. If any of you Charlotte folks want to help...Go ahead and make a few and let me know. I'll arrange a pick up.

John W

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Thanks John for finding out more information about this. I think it would be a great project for all the dog lovers out there.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Ditto John's coments re the organization; according to the Doc it's a good group and a well run event.

Scott

b4man

New User
Barbara
John, do the boxes need to be treated lumber? I think you said plaster, not quickcrete, right?

b4man

New User
Barbara
This sounds like a project we could get our kids interested in, help the dogs and teach the kids!
I want to make some:icon_thum

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
I will do some construction. I have some plywood I can use for the bottoms. Ray can you spare some of that 1 x 4 pressure treated lumber?

Doug

P.S. I don't have a dog.

NZAPP1

New User
Nick
I could make some but would need the NCWW express to pick them up in Clemmons or Winston. I can work on then in 2 weeks that should give us time to get them to the event:cool:

toolman

Administrator
Chad
I can make some how is setting this up? How ever is leading this Dog park box making project up please PM me!

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I think it will be best for whom ever wants to help with this project to contact the person (Tracy) who originally made the request. He/she is not a member of this site. But did provided an e-mail contact, and phone number. You'll have to fix the at and dot in the e-mail address.

NZAPP1

New User
Nick
I will give her a call and see If she has a way to get the ones from me. I have 9 cut and ready to assemble.

DSC01121.JPG

DSC01122.JPG

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Great work Nick, I am sure that your efforts will be appreciated :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

JohnW

New User
John
Just discovered some activity on this thread...Sounds like we have a few folks helping out. That's great.

I'm not "heading up" this request...but am volunteering to transport any boxes from Charlotte up to Tracy. Might be able to swing by Winston and Greensboro on my way up. Should be making a trip up that way around April 14th(+/-) I'll check back a few days before to see if a pick up can be arranged.

Barbara...good question. I don't know if they are using concrete, quickcrete or plaster. I said plaster when writing the message because that's what Tracy said when I spoke to her....but she could be saying "plaster" as a generic term for just about anything.

I'll try to contact her and post updated info.

I've got 7 boxes completed.
Thanks,
John W

NZAPP1

New User
Nick
John
I can complete 10 before 4/14 so if you can swing by Clemmons/ Winston area I will assemble them. I think I sent Tracy an email but have not heard back from her but if you are able to pick these up I will assemble them:icon_thum

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
I will do some construction. I have some plywood I can use for the bottoms. Ray can you spare some of that 1 x 4 pressure treated lumber?

Doug

P.S. I don't have a dog.

Doug,

Sorry about the slow response... I think i billed 88 hours this past week. Looks like I have about 40 feet of pt 1 X 4 left. You can have all of it if you want it.

Ray

b4man

New User
Barbara
John,
The reason I asked is if it's just plaster then can't the box be made of any wood? Or does it need to be treated?

I feel sure I'll be coming to Lake Norman by the middle of next week.
Nick, I could PU your boxes and meet John somewhere toward Charlotte to deliver them. I travel I-40 to I-77.

Depending on the wood requirement will determine how many I can make.

John, thanks for asking how I am. I'm slowly coming back but am awfully grateful for the support and kindness I've gotten here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS