Help, termites ate my shorts.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
I'm throwing my tale of woe and asking for any input......

I have an L shaped house, two 1920's Mill Houses joined to form an L.

Its ~1200 sq ft, 2 bed, 1 1/2 bath. One closet.

Issue is, due to many circumstances, the whole outer wall/floor on the long inside of the L is shot. Termites ate the sill, several 4x8x10 joists and more. This part of the house was originally a porch converted into interior rooms (aka, not all that sound).

I'm in the process of shoring up the floor and ceiling, very depressing but strangely satisfying work.

Heres my question, I'm faced with several options.

1. Repair. For ~$5000, a crew will fix whats busted. That doesn't include correcting the conditions that lead to the problem.

2. Repair and Remediation, ~$20,000. Demolish the problem area, rebuild. Fix the drainage, gutters, etc.

3. Addition ~60,000. Either a second story bump out that adds a large master bedroom/full bath. Close the L making it a box shaped house, also adding a new master bedroom.

Anyone care to throw out ideas, options, sympathy?

My house is not of historic signifcance, so a whole hog restoration is not really on the plate.

I do have termite killers coming next week.

Oh, my shop is a stand alone shed which is safe and sound! In case anyone was truely concerned :)

I'm also open to any builder recommendations.

Thanks,
Jim

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
If I wanted out and think I wouldn't lose any other articles of clothing (considering those termintes ate your shorts already), then I'd do number 1 and then move.

However, if you are staying I'd consider 2 or 3 ... and the answer will come down to dollars and cents.

As an investor (you bought you house, consider it your investment -- good or bad, right?), you have to be smart about the dollars you put places. With the economy unstable/uncertain, you also have to be careful not to break the bank and find out you can't recover because of forces greater than your control. So no matter what you do ... make sure you can stomach it for a while and that it makes your investment more valuable within a timeframe you can accept.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
What with residential housing slowing down all over, you could look around a bit & find a reputable builder/remodeler that's trying to keep his crew together through this 'economic downturn' that could give you a rock bottom price on fixing it. BTW, I'd take door #2 also. #1 is only a band aid & the problem will pop up again. #3 doesn't seem cost effective due to the age of the house. You just can't make good chicken salad with just feathers..... even if you're using Duke's mayonnaise!:gar-La;

Bryan S

Bryan
What a bitter pill to have to swallow Jim. You have to think longer term. If your going to stay there your going to be much better off repairing the damage and correcting the problem even if you were planning on selling in the next few years you would most likely have to disclose the condition. So I'm saying option 2.

The good part (if there is a good part) is the timing, contractars that would not consider returning your call 2 years ago are much more cooperative now and more willing to meet you on your terms now.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Definitely have my sympathy. Any chance you have a pest control contract?

My only comment is, do you plan on staying here long term or is this a stepping stone until you find your next home?

Glennbear

Glenn
I would agree with the consensus that #2 is the way to go as long as it alleviates the underlying conditions. As as an aside, I have seen termites in a wood shed tunnel through cardboard boxes and several hundred cotton bath towels. The towels were in the back of the shed and the rear boxes were not visible as they were part of an annual order and had several boxes hiding the entrance tunnel :swoon: Unbeknowst to us, we had given them a super easy to digest soft cellulose buffet :realmad: :eusa_doh:

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Jim, if you are planning to stay there less then 5 years go with option #1. If you plan to stay long term (10 +) go with option #3 and make the house the way you would want it.

I don't envie you......

Mark Anderson

New User
Mark
i'd like to kow the full extent of the remediation work, $15,000 sounds allfull high for some gutters and drainage.

that being said i would go with option 2 weather you plan to sell or not, most realestate transaction these days involve a home inspector that would problay spot the underling problem anyway.

Steve W

New User
Steve
Jim,
I'm with Scott on this one. If you're planning on leaving soon, I'd just repair it and be done. If you're on a nice lot in an attractive part of town, and you're planning on staying long-term, now may be the time to do an addition.

:kermit: Steve

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Thanks for all the input and sympathy. I'm almost done wallowing in self-pity......

I have a termite treatment scheduled for Thursday. DIE DIE DIE.

The remediation #2 involves a major regrading of my yard, new foundation, new walls, gutters and a big time roof repair, not to mention the basic eaten wood repairs.

I like the idea of #2, but worry about that such a large an investment to basically end up with the same house I have today (sans-termites!).

To the question on the lot, I think its a great lot. Its also smack dab in the part of town that many folks are looking to it as the next up and coming location.

Anyone have any books or websites to recommend for doing an addition? Maybe ideas too? I just can't visualize it.

Thanks,
Jim

Steve W

New User
Steve
Jim,

I think I looked at a similar place in Hillsborough a few years ago when we were still "prospectin' " so I think I have an idea as to the layout as there are similar houses around there. In that part of town, it's definitely worth the effort, I just didn't want so much of a project.

Don't limit yourself to an addition that's smaller than the house. If done with care and a good eye, you can make an addition that's bigger than the original house and it will still look like it belongs! I'd recommend finding an architect if you go this route.

If you haven't seen them yet, I'd also take a trip to Glencoe Village over in Burlington to get an idea of what you can do with a small old mill house. Most of the folks there have done incredible things with their old houses that are there, and there's a community Open House around Christmastime where you can go inside many of them to get ideas.

Good luck on getting it resolved.

:kermit: Steve

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS