Help needed ripping cedar

JohnMc

New User
John McMillan
We have 2x8x12 ft western red cedar we need to rip in the 8 inch direction approx 3/16 thick. The table saw and band saw we have can't handle this. Does anyone know of a shop with bandsaw or other saw that would rip this for us? Willing to pay reasonable amount. In the Greensboro area.

TBoomz

New User
Ron
ahem,..<cough> I have an "other"saw...woodmizer LT35 which can easily do 8". Only issue is a thick blade kerf. And it's stationary.
Would have to come to us.
Also have 30" Parks Century bandsaw for sale...
Am just outside of greensboro south of exit 132 [I-85]

Jeff

New User
Jeff
You want to rip off 3/16" thick along the entire 8' length? Why can't it be used at 2" thick instead of 1 13/16" thick?

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Jeff, it seems they want to end up with 3/16x8”x 12ft.

Scot Smith has a special resaw machine just made for this kind of work.

JohnMc

New User
John McMillan
ahem,..<cough> I have an "other"saw...woodmizer LT35 which can easily do 8". Only issue is a thick blade kerf. And it's stationary.
Would have to come to us.
Also have 30" Parks Century bandsaw for sale...
Am just outside of greensboro south of exit 132 [I-85]
Thanks TBoomz. Son-n-law is making paddleboard & wanting bookmatched panels from the cedar. How can he contact you? I've been member of this ncwoodworker for years but never posted other than 2 or 3 photos of rocker. Can't seem to find any contact info for you. Thanks again, John McMillan

JohnMc

New User
John McMillan
Jeff, it seems they want to end up with 3/16x8”x 12ft.

Scot Smith has a special resaw machine just made for this kind of work.
Yes, Mike is correct in that we're wanting 3/16 x 8 x 12 ft. Thanks Mike for the suggestion of Scot Smith.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Yes, Mike is correct in that we're wanting 3/16 x 8 x 12 ft. Thanks Mike for the suggestion of Scot Smith.

So you'll get about 10 strips out of that 2" thick piece. Count on fewer sheets counting the saw kerf.

You can call Scott Smith. He's in New Hill, NC. 194 miles from Banner Elk.

919-291-0095

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Out here in Hawaii the locals love Koa paddle boards. I would think it would be too heavy, Cedar makes more sense

JohnMc

New User
John McMillan
So you'll get about 10 strips out of that 2" thick piece. Count on fewer sheets counting the saw kerf.

You can call Scott Smith. He's in New Hill, NC. 194 miles from Banner Elk.

919-291-0095
Thanks much Jeff. I've been looking for Scott in the members search and can't find him. Will check into it. How wonderful that folks help one another!

JohnMc

New User
John McMillan
Out here in Hawaii the locals love Koa paddle boards. I would think it would be too heavy, Cedar makes more sense
Would love to have some Koa. Beautiful wood but a little scarce even in Hawaii from what I remember in looking for it a few years back.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Thanks much Jeff. I've been looking for Scott in the members search and can't find him. Will check into it. How wonderful that folks help one another!
Scott goes by SCSMITH here at NCWW.

Haven't heard from Scott in awhile. You may want to contact him through his website,......Quartersawnoak.com

TBoomz

New User
Ron
Thanks TBoomz. Can't seem to find any contact info for you. Thanks again, John McMillan
sorry about that. thought I had contact info. Still if you can get up with someone who has a resaw....
if anyone needs me for anything else.

336-944-6591

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Scott Smith
New Hill, NC (about half-way in-between Apex and Sanford)
Specilizing in milling and kiln drying oak, and custom milling of extremely long or large logs (up to 60" diameter, 58' long)
Kiln dried oak and eastern red cedar always in stock.
websites

www.wpsawmill.com

Last edited:

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS