Help needed changing to a keyless chuck on Makita 6093D

Status
Not open for further replies.

weekenderlady

New User
Janet
I have 2 Makita 6093D drills that I installed keyless chucks on 10 or so years ago. They have both quit working so I bought another drill on Ebay and I want to trade the keyed chuck on it for one of the keyless chucks. However, I can't remember how to remove the chucks. I have taken out the center screw inside the keyed chuck - now I'm stumped what to do next. The keyless checks have slotted screws and I can't get either to budge.

Any way to salvage these drills or should I bite the bullet and just buy new? I like these as the newer models weigh more - but may be it's not really a significant difference.

Frustrated in Greensboro!
Janet :BangHead:

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Janet: No guarantees, but sometimes you can insert the chuck key in one of the holes and tap it with a hammer and loosen the chuck. Not sure if this will work on a "Riceburner!"

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
not sure of that model but the ones i have replaced screwed off. i dont remember if they are right or left hand thread.

T

toolferone

The inside center screw is left hand thread and the chuck is right hand thread (this way the chuck won't come off in reverse) Once you have the center screw out take a large allen wrench and chuck the small end in the chuck nice and tight. Hold the drill in your hand and place the chuck on the edge of your bench with the allen wrench sticking up at an angle. Take a hammer and give the allen wrench a good whack with the hammer down towards the bench (make sure it is to loosen to the right hand thread) You are breaking the chuck loose from the threaded shaft it has been stuck on. Also make sure the drill is in low gear if it has 2 speeds. You might have to hit it more then once.

I hope I have not confused you. Good luck

weekenderlady

New User
Janet
Thanks for the instructions - they sound like what I may have done in the past. I probably won't get back into the workshop until the weekend to see if it works. I'll let you know.
Janet

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
If you took out the center screw I'd put some penetrating oil down the hole and hope it works into the threads from the inside. Let is soak overnight if you can.

Give a man a fish he eats for a day. Teach a redneck how to fish and he'll never work on Saturday. :eusa_danc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS