Help me decide - Grizzly G0656PX or G0490X jointer

Status
Not open for further replies.

dave

New User
Dave
Been looking at jointers from Jet and Grizzly for several days (sparked by the Jet sale) and I am really leaning towards a Grizzly machine. Comparing the G0656PX and G0490X, I don't see many differences, the biggest is the method for adjusting the table. The 0656PX has handwheels, while the 0490X has levers. I would think the handwheels are the way to go but would love to hear pros/cons for each method.

I also looked at the combo machines, but the price may put those out of my range right now. If I can swing it though, what are the benefits (beyond the space saving aspect) and any drawbacks. I have a 23x30 shop, so I have the space for separate machines, but kinda like the thought of having a larger table jointer like on the G0634XP machine.

Thanks!

redknife

Chris
Corporate Member
For my money, I'd go with the 00490x because of the parallelogram design compared to the dovetail way design of the 0656.

novice99

New User
Mike
I got my 0656 last year on discount when they had their issue with paint peeling. I have been entirely pleased with it. If I was starting from scratch and had an unlimited budget I would go with the parallelogram design, but having said that I had no issues with getting the 0656 dialed in very accurately, and it has held steady for more than 6months without adjustment. I suspect that you will be well served either way. Good luck!

dave

New User
Dave
Thanks guys! That helps and after doing some reading on the two styles, it does seem the parallelogram is the way to go.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I also have the 656 and decided the parallelogram was not worth the extra dollars. I've been very pleased with the purchase. You won't go wrong with either machine.

When you get ready for delivery/pickup check out my thread on my unit to get an idea of what you're in for unless of course you have a loading dock and a forklift.

I had mine held at the UPS Freight depot in Morrisville and picked it up with a full size pickup truck. They loaded it with a forklift and I unpacked it in the bed of the truck. Details in the other thread.

dave

New User
Dave
Thanks Ken! There's only a $75 difference in price, so that wouldn't be an issue for me. This will be my first jointer, so I just wanted some feedback on the table styles. I'll check out your thread, but I hope to have it delivered and have lift gate service. Even if they only unload it at the end of my driveway, I have a dolly that can handle 1000lbs. Worst case, I imagine I could just unpack it where it stands and roll it down the driveway on its own wheels.

gazzer

Gazzer
Corporate Member
I bought a used G0490X about 3 years ago and would recommend it to anyone. I had to make a few adjustments to the tables and can say that the parallelogram design makes this job loads easier. Periodic checks have not shown any reason for readjustment.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Not sure what could be easier than laying a metal straight edge on the outfeed table and adjusting the outfeed untill it was exactly even with the top of the spiral cutter blades. That is all it took to adjust mine using the hand crank.

I do understand that if there are problems with the outfeed being level to the infeed ways a parallelogram is easier to compensate for that versus using shims on the dovetail, but I never had to do that with mine. And haven't heard of anyone else who has had to do it. A 3 foot steel rule 1/4" thick laid on end from infeed to outfeed remained perfectly parallel (couldn't fit a .001 shim under it) anywhere that I put it.

Not knocking the parallelogram ways, it is a better design overall, but with quality manufacturing the other is sufficient.

And as I said, you won't be disappointed with either machine. The price difference when I purchased was more substantial due to a sale on the 656. I love my Grizzly jointer especially compared to the screaming 6" bemchtop that I had previously.

The one big piece of advice I have is not to skimp on getting the spiral cutter head. They are great. Quiet and efficient and leave a much cleaner surface. Do not accept straight blades, they are obsolete.

DWSmith

New User
David
I have a 490X and I am super satisfied with it. Runs quietly, cuts cleanly and is a solid machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS