help making a wood stamp makers mark...

Status
Not open for further replies.

02blues

New User
john
Does anyone know where I can have a makers mark stamp made?
I want to stamp an impression into the wood (like the plane makers did...the wood will be the only one impressed I'm sure...).
Found one called infinity stamps Inc I think that will make one starting at $140.
others?

and NO I have not considered building a forge to make one...(but it is on the list).

thanks!:icon_thum

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
I only know of branding irons carried by Rockler.

URL: http://www.rockler.com/CategoryView.cfm?Cat_ID=93

...Or you could use a laser engraver (considerably more than $149:wink_smil) or CNC to create such a mark.

Hopefully one of these days I might finally get around to building a CNC. I hate drilling hundreds of holes in circuit boards!

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Dang, Tony, that site is awesome.

I don't need any piano tuning saws, but that doesn't mean I don't want one now!

Jim

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
You can also find the 36 piece sets from $10 and up. Northern Tool has some. Those are more of a pain as you have to do letters individually, but you can do dates as well. I just bought a new gouge the other day; a #8 sweep 1.5mm wide and one of the things I am planning to learn to do with it is my initials (I do a cursive AB that ends with a loop around it that is sort of logo like). In my case, it isn't just me being cheap (which I am). I am planning to mark woodwinds, which have no flat surfaces and I don't want to hit them too hard with anything. A letter at a time would probably be okay. I also have one of those vibrating engravers you can mark stuff with for security purposes, but it doesn't do small detail as cleanly as I would like.

NCTurner

New User
Gary
I have just started using this method on my turnings and it works and looks great. Lowes has this engraver on sale for about $17.00

rick7938

New User
Rick
There was a furniture maker in our community back home in the 1840's who marked all of his work with his name and year of manufacture on the back of each piece with what appears to be a v-groove or veining tool, darkened the grove, with a pencil or some kind of darkening agent, and covered it with a thick coat of shellac. Has lasted 150 years and has only turned a little more orange. Each mark is unique because it is hand-cut, but you can spot his mark a mile away.

CarvedTones

Andy
Interesting. I notice that one has a dial; my engraver just has an aufahn switch :rolf:. Anyway, in my admittedly limited experiments, it was difficult to control. It worked, but the lettering was a bit ragged. I wonder if my router speed control would work on my engraver.

BTW, there is another source for pigments embedded in wax - Crayola. Before you laugh that off, take a look. They have some packs with metallic colors and they are very cheap (like me).

CarvedTones

Andy
There was a furniture maker in our community back home in the 1840's who marked all of his work with his name and year of manufacture on the back of each piece with what appears to be a v-groove or veining tool, darkened the grove, with a pencil or some kind of darkening agent, and covered it with a thick coat of shellac. Has lasted 150 years and has only turned a little more orange. Each mark is unique because it is hand-cut, but you can spot his mark a mile away.

The 1.5mm #8 gouge I mentioned earlier is essentially a veiner, though veiners are typically a #11 and are common down to 1mm. The narrower deeper cut makes them slightly more likely to dig or follow grain (a V tool shares this). I am not smarter than that guy, just chicken to take a regular veiner or V to an otherwise finished piece.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Interesting. I notice that one has a dial; my engraver just has an aufahn switch :rolf:. Anyway, in my admittedly limited experiments, it was difficult to control. It worked, but the lettering was a bit ragged. I wonder if my router speed control would work on my engraver.

BTW, there is another source for pigments embedded in wax - Crayola. Before you laugh that off, take a look. They have some packs with metallic colors and they are very cheap (like me).

Some engravers have an adjustable tip for intensity. It can be screwed out or in to vary the stroke depth of the nib. Have you tried that?

rick7938

New User
Rick
Andy,

The backs of his furniture is shall we say "rustic." A couple of swipes with a plane would leave a boo-boo lost in the sawdust. On a finely finished piece of wood like a musical instrument, I wouldn't get within 10 feet of the piece with a grooving tool either.

CarvedTones

Andy
Some engravers have an adjustable tip for intensity. It can be screwed out or in to vary the stroke depth of the nib. Have you tried that?

I just tried that and it made little difference. My unit is an old Craftsman. However, I did reacquaint myself with the issues about using it on wood, and it may be that the introduction of color down into the groove will make it work. I remembered it being ragged because that is what it is if you force it to make an engraving in wood that can be easily seen without coloring it. It is just way too fine. Adding color I can scrape away from the surface will probably have better results. I hope to get a chance to try that later...

ebarr

New User
Wayne
I know a guy who hangs out down at the Durham Tech Shop that has all the machines you can use for a flat hourly fee. If you went down there I am sure they would help you make just about anything. They really enjoy cutting things out with the cnc machine.

02blues

New User
john
Thats why I love this web site...
All great ideas. I have done a few things from letter carving to a quick set of initials with the chisels.
I am into wooden planes lately so I decided to go with a 1/16 single line stamp from mazzaglia tools.
Looks pretty authentic with the zig zag outline to me plus I can use it for small projects.

I have a i" square design I think I will submit to Infinity Stamps Inc. Will be a little more artistic and will be larger not to mention more expensive. Will post when I can.

Can't see finishing this epic bed project without a tatoo of some sort.

Thanks for the help everyone.

DSC_2714.JPG

View image in gallery

http://mazzagliatools.com/StampOrderInfo.html

CarvedTones

Andy
A quick follow up on my engraver...

I inscribed in some hard wood without going over it more than onec (which is what makes it ragged), could not see the letters well, used a black crayon and then cleaned it off and the results are pretty encouraging.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS