Help ID'ing Screw

Status
Not open for further replies.

skysharks

New User
John Macmaster
Hey all. I have been comissioned to replicate some dining room chairs.
There 12 of these screws per chair. I am to build 4 chairs, so I would need 48-50 of these guys.
Please take a look at the pictures and see if you could help me out in locating them.
roughly they are 2 3/4" long, Shank is about 1/4" thick. Head is about 9/16" across with a square drive. additionally the head is about 1/8" thick.
Jason_Desk_010.jpg

I just need to get close to this.

Couldn't find anything at Lowe's or Fastenal.

Thanks

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Looks a lot like a Confirmat screw. Rockler, McFeelys, Woodcraft etc. carry those. But the shank is not quite what I'm used to seeing.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
+1 on the confirmat screw. Designed for use in MDF, strange that someone decided to use them in a chair.

skysharks

New User
John Macmaster
It looks like it doesn't it. I have checked with Mcfeelys, Csh. It's not a pocket hole screw. It is a larger screw and if it had a bolt hex head you would call it a lag bolt.
So I call it a lag screw here is a picture of the head.
Jason_Desk_011.jpg

Sure could use the help in locating:eek:ccasion1

MAC

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I've seen screws like that in RTA furniture (usually using PB/MDF). I know my Lowe's has an assortment of furniture fasteners, and they probably have screws of that type. Most likely not the exact size you need :eusa_doh:. I would do some searching for Ready to Assemble (RTA) furniture fasteners and you'll probably find what you need.
Quick search

HTH,
Dave:)

skysharks

New User
John Macmaster
I should have described it's use. This is used in Pine furniture as a fastener in a butt joint. Coarse threads as you would fine on a lag bolt.
It goes thru a 2x2 into the back rest of a chair. Removing them allows removing of the back rest for re upholstery.
HTH.

MAC

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
That's a MDF assembly screw - I seen them all the time when I was repairing furniture. I really don;t know where you can buy them but I'll look around

Skymaster

New User
Jack
also try Deerwood or Quick Screw websites both are manufacturers
http://www.deerwood.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=26
http://www.quickscrews.com/Screws/Type/Square_Drive_Round_Washer_T17_Assembly_Screws

This screw seems to be a hybrid assembly type screw, not a full confirmat but comfirmat type. Normal confirmat are designed for MDF or particle board. These quite obviously are wood screws on a confirmat platform.
Check out the Quick Screw link first even tho it is a pocket screw design they will probably get you closest to where you want to be.

Jack

TedAS

New User
Ted
Give Chair City Supply in Thomasville a try, They have a big selection, not everything is listed on their web site. you can download their catalog. If you don't find it in the catalog that doesn't mean they don't have, give them a call.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS