Help ID this wood

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrewj1398

New User
Andrew
barn wood.jpg

So does anyone know what this is? I am new to woodworking and I am not sure.

andrewj1398

New User
Andrew
Pine is what I thought. I am looking to do a rustic type finish on it do you guys have any ideas of what to do to make it look good?

Transplanted

New User
Stan
As with most softwoods, I'd put down a pre-stain wood conditioner seal on the project. Doing this will prevent your stain from blotching, and give you a more even stain application. Minwax and others make a softwood stain conditioner however, when you mention you're attempting to achieve a rustic type of finish, what are you trying to achieve? Are you looking at taking new pine and making it look old and worn? What also are you finishing your project with, paint, stain, bare?
There's a ton of different ways to achieve a rustic appearance on any project, one simply needs to know what the desired results are.

Last edited:

Jeff

New User
Jeff
+1 to pine of some sort. 100% Dewaxed shellac could be a good choice to both seal the wood and pop the grain/figure. At the extremes you could try Zinsser SealCoat (2 lb. cut of 100% dewaxed clear shellac) or dewaxed garnet shellac flakes that you mix. The latter will impart a little more reddish look so it may resemble antique heart pine (longleaf pine).

http://www.appalachianwoods.com/furniture/heart_pine_farm_table.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS