Help dating an old plane?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gritz

New User
Robert
I have an old plane I got from my Mother's estate. It is a family piece as I recall seeing it in my Grandad's toolbox as a kid. My question is whether it belonged to him (1900-1964) or his father(1870 to 1928)

They both lived in rural southeast Ga. and were farmers, which explains the utilitarian design. It was likely used for rough farm building or impliment repair.

If you know how it was used or value, that would be appreciated as well.

plane_001.jpg

plane_011.jpg

Last edited:

DIYGUY

New User
Mark
I have an old plane I got from my Mother's estate. It is a family piece as I recall seeing it in my Grandad's toolbox as a kid. My question is whether it belonged to him (1900-1964) or his father(1870 to 1928)

They both lived in rural southeast Ga. and were farmers, which explains the utilitarian design. It was likely used for rough farm building or impliment repair.

If you know how it was used or value, that would be appreciated as well.

plane_001.jpg

plane_011.jpg

Stamped on the front of the plane will be the mfr logo and the model number. I think it is later than the Bailey's - likely a Stanley 24 or maybe 26, hard to tell from the pic. The tote is broken and the bottom is probably scored from use. You can find these all over FleaBay for modest money. I like them and have two that I have cleaned up and keep around as what-nots. Value is not great - less than $100 for certain and if you get lucky with a buyer more than $50, all depends on the condition.

BTW - its a jack plane.

nelsone

New User
Ed
I have a no-name transitional that is in about the same condition as yours. I rounded the iron on mine and use it as a scrub. I would guess it to be from the late 1800's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS