HELP Cleaning and care for a wood carving

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
A co-worker of mine just acquired a carving of a wooden eagle. It stands about 3' high and is carved from cherry. There does not appear to have a finish other then maybe BLO. The problem is this wooden eagle was on display in a shop and parts of it have been darkened from all the handling. SO the two questions are 1) how to clean? 2) does he put a finish or sealer on it?

I told him that I knew a bunch of experts so guy and girls a little help please.

striker

New User
Stephen
Scott,

I don't really have a clue for you but reading the post thru I was wondering if was possibly shellac and not BLO. If its shellac, you mite try a little alcohol and a tooth brush. Shellac will come back to life if you rub it out with the alcohol.

Stephen

J

jeff...

Might want to try rubbing it - never know a Jeni might appear and grant you three wishes. If not it might get clean

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Is it dark from handling or is it because of the cherry reacting to the light? If from teh light, I doubt you will be "cleaning" it. Exposing it to direct sunlight may even the colors out more, tho.

Go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS