Help/Advice moving big workshop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tdhetrick

New User
Todd Hetrick
So it’s been a while since I have posted but I have a problem/question that seems particularly suited for the North Carolina Woodworker crowd.

I am part of a non-profit club (www.triadlivesteamers.org) that needs to move a 24’L x 12’w x 11.5’h workshop from Farmington NC (just south of Winston Salem) to Harrisburg NC (just north of Charlotte). Does anyone have any experience with this kind of move? Any advice? Anyone know of a company that we could hire to do it? All I know is that it looks like some permits will be required.

The building was delivered in one piece, but the original supplier is out of business.

Thanks
Todd

timf67

New User
Tim
In a previous job we used to ship equipment installed in large shipping containers (seaboxes). We would just contact one of the trucking companies and request a low flatbed trailer. We would hire a separate rigging crew to come and load the equipment onto the trailer. I know that certain states required oversize load permits and the shipment had to be scheduled with the states. Since you are staying in NC it should simplify the situation. The trucking company should be able to take care of the permits for you. I don't remember which trucking companies and riggers we used to use, but I can find out if you'd like.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
A search found these, I don't know any of them.

Crouch Brothers House Moving Contractors Inc‎
6914 Statesville Rd, Charlotte, NC‎ - (704) 596-0066‎

Queen City House Moving Inc‎
15545 Thompson Rd, Mint Hill, NC‎ - (704) 724-7339‎

Mc Crary House Movers‎
Charlotte, NC‎ - (704) 509-9905‎

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Todd, I have move some buildings, and your best bet is to contact a house moving service that is local to the area where you are moving to. The second best option is to contact a service in the area where you are moving the building from.

You're both over width and over height, and of the two height is the greatest concern. A moving company will have large I-beams that they will slip under the building, and then attach some hydraulically operated axle assemblies to the beams. Another option is to use a low-boy equipment hauler. No matter which way you go, you've only got 24" to play with in terms of the trailer deck height (or beam height), in order to clear any underpasses (average is 13'6").

Overwidth permits will be required, and there are restrictions as to time of day and time of week that apply. Again, a house moving company will be well versed with the requirements.

Regards,

Scott

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
Down here 'utility buildings' 12 wide, 20 long are hauled on roll-backs. My first shop was 12 by 20 with 7 foot ceilings, which I'm estimating has a peak of close to 11'.
'Course things are different in SC than most places.

wayne

New User
wayne
Don't mean to sound doom and gloom but unless this is an allfull nice building contracting with movers is probably going to cost as much as just building another on site.

crokett

New User
David
I am in the last stages of reconstructing a 16x24 shop that I disassembled, moved and reassembled. I had help on the disassembly and move but not on the reassembly, except to set the roof ridge and two roof sections that could not be taken apart. Based on my experience, if you can get enough folks and a tractor or two, you could part it out, move it and reassemble it in several weekends. I would have had the floor and walls up by myself the first week I started reassembly but for losing time to rain. Even if I did have the budget mine couldn't be moved in one piece without taking down trees and a fence at the site it came from.

I don't know what kind of time or budget you have though.

If you want to consider moving it in pieces, PM me. I can tell you what I learned.

Glennbear

Glenn
I wish you luck with your move Todd, the only advice I can offer is to use an experienced reputable firm if your group hires someone. The picture below shows the result when unqualified individuals attempt a move. :rotflm:
house_2.JPG

tdhetrick

New User
Todd Hetrick
Thanks everyone for the info. Looks like it will cost about $1000 to have it profesionaly moved by http://www.crouchbrothers.com/. I think that is the route I will recomend to the club. It would cost well over $3k in just materails to build it, so it comes out to be fairly cost effective.

I will post some pictures when we do it, should be intresting.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS