Hello...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
I found this site through surfing around with Google...and planed to just lurk for a bit. Well, then I saw the post by Erin and that she had sold an 8" jointer xxxxxx so I had to ask if there were more good deals to be had. Of course, the answer was not for me as I would need a similar deal (we just had twins)...I was hoping to get a planer ;-)

Anyway, I'm fairly new to woodworking. I started with some basic outdoor projects (I built a trellis for our trash can) and really enjoyed it. That led to a 10x16 shed (luckily I had the foresight to go ahead and put a workbench in) to a large timber retaining wall with stairs to a playhouse for my kids built ontop of the 40 yards being retained by my wall...ok ramble ramble :)

Well, when it was getting close to the twins being born, I thought I would try my hand at a music box. I built one for my wife to give to her when she had the babies. It was a lot of fun, but that means I've only been doing fine woodworking for about 3-4 mos. I'm hooked! Since then, I've been making picture frames for our pictures of our kids (did I mention we have a 4 yr old and a 2 1/2 yr old, too? ). I've really enjoyed the picture frames b/c they are easy and I have been able to focus on learning my tools and playing with different woods, instead of having to think about what I'm making. My favorite frame so far was made with bubinga and bocote splines.

I live on the NE side of Charlotte with my family. I am hoping that this website will help me learn some tips and tricks...and maybe help me acquire some new (to me) tools. I've looked through some galleries and there are some talented people here...I look forward to learning more :)

Sorry for the long post...
Chris Mathes

Last edited by a moderator:

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Welcome aboard, glad to have you here. I'm sure others will be welcoming you. Let me know if I can help.

chris99z71

New User
Chris
Welcome! Do you have any pictures of your stuff that you can post? I'm interested in new picture frame ideas and I'm also making my wife a jewelery box.

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
Welcome to the site! From the sound of it, you're gonna be making loads of picture frames! I don't think there are enough trees to frame all the pictures my wife takes of my boys. I'm with Chris.. I'd love to see some pictures of your picture frames :). I'd also like to know your technique for these frames.

DavidF

New User
David
Welcome too - A nicer bnch of people you won't find and a font of all knowledge to boot:icon_thum

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
I'll show you mine if you show me yours :lol:

Thanks for all of the replies! I'll try to get some pix out on the gallery. I guess I need to figure out how to get setup. My frames are fairly basic, but there's something about hand made...of course, I'm biased. Hopefully, I'll get them out there this evening, but my wife is leaving me with the 4 kids while she goes out. That's to make up for the time I spend in the shed, I guess :icon_thum

Anyway, I really would like to see what you have done in the way of frames, too...I didn't see any in your galleries... I plan to continue to make some...I think it's a great way to try new woods and try different finishes. There definately may not be enough trees for our pix:p

Chris

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
You can get a gallery set up by using the Request services link on the Menu bar. I have never made a picture frame, but my uncle is a professional photographer. I'm sure I could sell some if I'd only make some......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS